Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NUD: J. Rieck Torrefied Spruce/Sapele 16" Concert

Well, that’s a bloody beauty!
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

More of a sculpture than a ukulele, love the sound too.

Do you think the toreffied spruce makes a big difference?
    Pono MCD

KoAloha KTM-00

Headcorn Ukulele Group http://www.headcornukulelegroup.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Kent View Post
    More of a sculpture than a ukulele, love the sound too.

Do you think the toreffied spruce makes a big difference?
    Of course, the luthier makes the biggest difference. Beyond that, I do think that torrefication has benefits. I've owned three instruments with torrefied tops. This shows how wood changes with torrefication and how it more closely resembles a naturally aged top: https://www.pre-warguitars.com/torrefied-wood/

Also, interestingly, Josh uses x-bracing which is not so common in the uke world. The only other x-braced uke I've played, I believe, is my TODA. Also a fantastic instrument.
    Last edited by Ukulele Eddie; 10-12-2018 at 04:07 AM.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    Of course, the luthier makes the biggest difference. Beyond that, I do think that torrefication has benefits. I've owned three instruments with torrefied tops. Also, interestingly, Josh uses x-bracing which is not so common in the uke world. The only other x-braced uke I've played, I believe, is my TODA. Also a fantastic instrument.
    I LOVE ukes made with x-bracing!!! I own(ed) 4 tenors with x-bracing ... or modified x-bracing ... and one custom in the works as we speak. My newly acquired phenomenal Josh Riecke Flamed Myrtle/Torrefied Spruce tenor w/cutaway, beveled edge/armrest, side sound port, and radiused fretboard; a Leonard Young Koa/Spruce tenor w/slotted headstock; an aNueNue Moon Bird UT200E E.I. Rosewood/Swiss Moon Spruce tenor w/aNueNue Air Air Dual Pickup System; and just recently sold Kala USA Custom Shop Myrtle/Spruce tenor purchased by a fellow UU member. They all look and ... especially, sound AMAZING!!! Both Andrew Kitakis and Corey Fujimoto (H.M.S./theukulelesite.com) agreed that the Kala USA Custom Shop Myrtle/Spruce tenor and concert ukes made with their new x-bracing system for this model, are the best sounding Kala instruments hands down!!! The one that I just sold, looks and sounds AMAZING!!! The only reason that I sold it is because it has a traditional headstock - my personal preference is slotted headstocks, plus the fact that I will be moving back to the mainland from Hawaii in the next few months, so I'm trying to downsize my personal uke collection to save money from having to ship all of my ukes back to the mainland. My non-slothead ukes are the first ukes to be sold off.

I am a HUGE fan of x-bracing!!!
    Last edited by slackkey007; 10-11-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Thread Information