NUD: J. Rieck Torrefied Spruce/Sapele 16" Concert

Well, that’s a bloody beauty!

More of a sculpture than a ukulele, love the sound too.

Do you think the toreffied spruce makes a big difference?

Of course, the luthier makes the biggest difference. Beyond that, I do think that torrefication has benefits. I've owned three instruments with torrefied tops. This shows how wood changes with torrefication and how it more closely resembles a naturally aged top: https://www.pre-warguitars.com/torrefied-wood/

Also, interestingly, Josh uses x-bracing which is not so common in the uke world. The only other x-braced uke I've played, I believe, is my TODA. Also a fantastic instrument.

Last edited:
Of course, the luthier makes the biggest difference. Beyond that, I do think that torrefication has benefits. I've owned three instruments with torrefied tops. Also, interestingly, Josh uses x-bracing which is not so common in the uke world. The only other x-braced uke I've played, I believe, is my TODA. Also a fantastic instrument.

I LOVE ukes made with x-bracing!!!:drool: I own(ed) 4 tenors with x-bracing ... or modified x-bracing ... and one custom in the works as we speak. My newly acquired phenomenal Josh Riecke Flamed Myrtle/Torrefied Spruce tenor w/cutaway, beveled edge/armrest, side sound port, and radiused fretboard; a Leonard Young Koa/Spruce tenor w/slotted headstock; an aNueNue Moon Bird UT200E E.I. Rosewood/Swiss Moon Spruce tenor w/aNueNue Air Air Dual Pickup System; and just recently sold Kala USA Custom Shop Myrtle/Spruce tenor purchased by a fellow UU member. They all look and ... especially, sound AMAZING!!! Both Andrew Kitakis and Corey Fujimoto (H.M.S./theukulelesite.com) agreed that the Kala USA Custom Shop Myrtle/Spruce tenor and concert ukes made with their new x-bracing system for this model, are the best sounding Kala instruments hands down!!! The one that I just sold, looks and sounds AMAZING!!! The only reason that I sold it is because it has a traditional headstock - my personal preference is slotted headstocks, plus the fact that I will be moving back to the mainland from Hawaii in the next few months, so I'm trying to downsize my personal uke collection to save money from having to ship all of my ukes back to the mainland. My non-slothead ukes are the first ukes to be sold off.

I am a HUGE fan of x-bracing!!!:shaka:

Last edited:
Top Bottom