bASS p***

Here's my newest bass (Kala UBass) surrounded by some ukuleles.
To make sure you know which one the bass is I marked with a cat...
4gssp4.jpg

I guess I'll add some pics of my favorite instrument - this is my BABY!

Bought it from Bruce Johnson about 12 years ago - it's #30.

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

Nice! I've always wondered how those old Ampegs play and sound. I know Boz Burrell used one some in Bad Company, but I don't know which (if any) recordings he played it on.

Well, Chris, the old Ampegs aren't that great. Bruce Johnson obtained the rights to the aesthetic design and hand makes these - and they play and sound amazing. They are hard to find these days and I'm not even sure if he still makes them, but if you ever see one and can afford it - buy it!

Here's some of mine:

Me on stage with my Godin a-4 fretless and '49 Kay M-1 upright
6453_1212760245572_1425776891_632584_6372504_n.jpg

'62 Vintage Fender Jazz Bass
7627_1249770690810_1425776891_743116_492095_n.jpg

2004 American Series Fender Precison Bass
n1425776891_178990_7648.jpg

Kala U-Bass
15701_1408886908616_1425776891_1138268_5641526_n.jpg

- Steve

I have 5 basses: a Fender 5-string J-bass, a Traben 5-string, a Dano short scale longhorn, a 70s ernie Ball/MusicMan Stingray and this MIJ Fender paisley P-bass:

m_a5846271f590427306bc77e4f3c884e5.jpg

It's a US reissue that I bought new in 1988. I didn't mean to mislead, '62 Vintage is just the name of this model. The color is Lake Placid Blue and I only installed the chrome covers for the picture.

- Steve
I put the covers on my '77 Jazz when I got it in '99, just to try them out. I ended up liking them, so they've been on ever since. I even put a pick-up cover on my 5-string Jazz. The bridge cover wouldn't fit, though. I really like the way they look, and they aren't in my way (too much!). I usually play between the end of the fingerboard and the front pick-up, so that works out well.

Ok, I'll play along. If you've been over to talkbass you've already seen these. :)

fampic10a.jpg

UbassRig.jpg

Here's a nice bass I caught. ;)

DecentSmallyforDad-1.jpg

My new Hofner...love it so far.

My new Hofner...love it so far.

Sweet! I would LOVE a Hofner. When I was in college I passed on a '64 Hofner... for $450!!!! What was I thinking???????? Well, admittedly, at the time $450 was a lot of money for me. My dad was with me and said "You ought to put it on layaway". I said I didn't really need another bass. I guess I've been compensating for that ever since! I now have 8 basses (down from 10 at one point) and 14 ukes.

I got a new bass: Music Man Stingray 30th Anniversary Edition (2006) -- I'm sooooo in love!!!

photo.jpg

Drooooool..... I have a "normal" Stingray. I love it. Mine is transparent orange with a matching headstock and a tortoiseshell pickguard. I think I posted a picture of it (and my other basses) a few pages back on this thread.

sebi-love that axe! On my "wish list."
Chris-I am very happy with the Hofner. I have wanted one since I was a kid. I got it at a decent price even though it is the Icon serise (but still a Hofner). I have LaBella flatwound strings on order-I'll be sounding like McCartney in no time....I would love to have a 60's Hofner though.

sebi-love that axe! On my "wish list."
Chris-I am very happy with the Hofner. I have wanted one since I was a kid. I got it at a decent price even though it is the Icon serise (but still a Hofner). I have LaBella flatwound strings on order-I'll be sounding like McCartney in no time....I would love to have a 60's Hofner though.

I haven't played one of the Icon series yet. The first time I played an old one, I was amazed at how LIGHT they are. It's so unlike a normal bass, both in weight and in feel. I read somewhere that McCartney said because of the short scale and narrow neck, you can't help but play bouncy little Beatles-esque lines on it. I sure found that to be true whenever I've messed with one. They pretty much only have one tone, but it is THE tone! Throw some flatwounds on it and play with a pick and you're all set! (Mind you, I don't play with a pick EVER, normally, but on a Hofner it just seems RIGHT somehow!)

Top Bottom