The Danger of Playing with Straps

To to be all about me, but I refuse to use a strap. My friend's guitar teacher said... no strap...nerdy?? I agree.

I sit to play and when standing, I guess I am so used to is slipping occasionally that I will time my playing with re-adjusting it in my arms. Anyone who plays the accordion will know that you have to time the bellows so that you don't run out of air in the middle of a phrase. After a while, this becomes second nature and you just focus on the playing while it happens automatically.

Check out the other thread about non-slip surface mat...That might be your answer!

Maybe it's because I was a guitar player but I use straps on all my ukes, even when sitting down. I have a very dodgy left wrist and the support that the strap provides makes it so much more comfortable to play.

I played without a strap for about 4 years but when playing standing up I never felt entirely secure. I used a uke leash for a while and that helped but it didn't entirely deal with the feeling of the uke slipping. I realised just how much difference a strap made when I bought a Risa Uke'Ellie which comes fitted with strap buttons and is set up to use the strap on the bag as a strap when you play. I found it so much easier to play with a strap so I got strap buttons, first for my tenors and eventually for all my ukes, including the sopranos. (which are easiest to manage without a strap) I wouldn't be without them now, they make it so much easier for me.

I notice that the pros seem split over straps. Some play without and some play with. It's a matter of personal choice.

Top Bottom