6 or 8 String Tenors

Tatcho

Reaction score
I've been playing for 18 months now and I have a Snail UKT 598 which I like very much. It looks quite nice and the sound is very good to me. I also have a cheap concert but prefer the tenor.
I am now looking for new fields to travel along and I think I might like a 6 string or even 8 string tenor. I would like to have your opinions of both this style of instrument and my capability to handle 6 or 8 strings. I have never played either type so I need some expert advice. I've played a 5 string which belongs to a member of the group I'm playing in and that sounds good but listening to some of the reviews I fancy 6 or 8 they sound better. What are your thoughts?

I have a 6 and an 8 string. Both have different voices. The 6 has more of a small guitar sound and the 8 has a harpsichord-like sound (to me, anyway). I've tried different combinations of strings, and it's a natter of musical taste what one's choice(s) will be.

6 string ukes are great for strumming and rhythm playing but not so good for melodic playing. An 8 string uke can handle both rhythmic and melodic playing.

It depends on what you want to do with your uke.

This question has been asked many times. I'm a fan of the 8-string sound. It suits my music (folk & rock) and my playing style (strumming and fingerpicking), and complements the instruments I usually play with (mostly acoustic guitars) quite nicely. My Lanikai O-8E has been my main uke pretty much since I began my ukulele adventure about a decade ago.

Excuse the interface, but here are some more threads on the same topic: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=6-string+or+8-string+uke

- FiL

Of all the 8 strings I've heard/played so far, the Ohana spruce topped solid mahogany tenor 8 string is the greatest value. Tone wise, it compares with others costing 3 times as much....and more in come cases. Amazing how good it sounds for that little bit of money and it should be easily acquired in the UK.

Top Bottom