imua

valde002

Reaction score
Am curious about Imua. They've been around for a little while. Don't see much as far as reviews.

Anyone have one or care to share how they like it? How about a sound sample? I know that HMS has some videos, but that is with professional recording.

Thanks Imua owners!

I know that HMS has some videos, but that is with professional recording.

The equipment, care and skill that it takes to produce an accurate and useful recording is sometimes underestimated. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any source of ukulele recordings on the internet that are more informative than the ones that HMS posts.

nice, like the turtles!

How do you like the Imua? For some reason I equate it with the Kamaka line. is it different, or similar to the Kamakas in sound. They certain look similar.

I've looked into it a bit awhile back. They really do have a high end quality production. I would get one if it weren't for the fact that a midrange priced uke would do it for me sufficely.

Am curious about Imua. They've been around for a little while. Don't see much as far as reviews.

Anyone have one or care to share how they like it? How about a sound sample? I know that HMS has some videos, but that is with professional recording.

Thanks Imua owners!

I have an Imua Concert that I got in 2013. It was an impulse purchase at Hawi Gallery on the Big Island. But I had been playing long enough to know it sounded great, better than any other concert they had. The setup was great right off the rack. Seriously, it was like that uke and I found each other. It remains my favorite concert among Clara, Martin, Cocobolo, KoAlana, and KoAloha l/n pineapple choices.

Imua has changed it's standard to string to Aquila Lava. Not to my taste, but strings are easy. Martin M600 on my Imua now.

Imua doesn't have the cachet of Kamaka, KoAloha, or Kanilea. To my mind Imua deserves to be on the same shelf.

I have an Imua Concert that I got in 2013. It was an impulse purchase at Hawi Gallery on the Big Island. But I had been playing long enough to know it sounded great, better than any other concert they had. The setup was great right off the rack. Seriously, it was like that uke and I found each other. It remains my favorite concert among Clara, Martin, Cocobolo, KoAlana, and KoAloha l/n pineapple choices.

Imua has changed it's standard to string to Aquila Lava. Not to my taste, but strings are easy. Martin M600 on my Imua now.

Imua doesn't have the cachet of Kamaka, KoAloha, or Kanilea. To my mind Imua deserves to be on the same shelf.

oooh. Now you're tempting me even more, lol!

nice, like the turtles! How do you like the Imua? For some reason I equate it with the Kamaka line. is it different, or similar to the Kamakas in sound. They certain look similar.
Yeah the turtles are a nice touch. :) Well, the iET model is a chambered solid body and designed to be played plugged in like the Godin Multiuke. Pono and Ko'olau (and others) have similar designs, but to my knowledge, Kamaka does not. I like it. It's a passive pickup design that conventional wisdom says "needs" a preamp (which I don't have). But even without it, I find the output to be very clean and natural while still taking well to effects.

IMUA IS:

- Great wood (Koa)
- Lightweight & Well balanced
- Loud, great sustain
- Peg tuners are great
- As good as Kamaka or Martin

I've tried a couple that Mim was showing off at TBUG, and I fell in love. They are great ukes, wish I could afford one. There are none around here that I know of, so if I had one it would be very special. Of course, there were no Cocobolo Ukuleles around here when I bought mine, but now...

I don't have firsthand knowledge but when I was in Honolulu last month the word was that Imua is no longer in business. I spoke with one of their builders who is now at Kamaka.

Will they turn collectors items now?

Locally there is a gorgeous 2.hand Imua for sale in Denmark, but I havent pulled the tricker.
The sound samples on HMS suggests that it is more quiet and mellow and with less punch than the K-brands.
Sounds good, but those are allready my only complaint on my cheaper Cort ukulele, so an upgrade should probably have som other qualities.

There's an Imua koa soprano in stock at World of Ukes in Carlisle. £529 seems like a decent price for the spec, although the fact that it has geared tuners on it strikes it off any potential list for me (no problem with changing the tuners, but I don't think I'd be happy having to patch up the screw holes after paying so much). Doesn't mention it being secondhand, so either the name is still in use or it's part of a dwindling supply.

Top Bottom