I would like to put an uke in the hands of _____________.

jer

Reaction score
Do you have any favorite artists, or just artists you've come across who make you pause and say, "I'd really like to put a uke in their hands to see what they could do with it." ?

One I've come across is The Milk Carton Kids. If you like new or old folk and haven't checked them out yet, they're worth a look. Their Lincoln Theatre performance, especially, is the one I enjoy watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8eBrhVTJ4
For me, the music is great. They both play their roles in the duo very well. The lead player is especially impressive to me, because I don't know of anyone else quite like him. He's really interesting but doesn't go so far as to turn it into mindless wankery.
Their onstage banter and humor and such just ups the entertainment value for me too. I know I wouldn't enjoy just listening to their music as much as seeing this live stuff...it's a package deal.

I'd like to put a soprano uke in the rhythm player's hands and a tenor in the lead player's hands and see a repeat of this performance.

Last edited:
Maybe Daniel Johnston. I think a uke might complement his performance style.

Do you have any favorite artists, or just artists you've come across who make you pause and say, "I'd really like to put a uke in their hands to see what they could do with it." ?

Mark O'Connor comes to mind.

bratsche

David Rawlings, Gillian Welch's partner. His main instrument is a small acoustic archtop that's got a sound more akin to a uke than any steel string guitar I've heard. I'd love to hear what he'd do with a ukulele.

Eric Clapton.

Joe Walsh.

Bonnie Raitt.

Joan Jett.

You got me thinking about Clapton. I suspected George Harrison might have shown Clapton how to play a ukulele because of their close friendship, so I did a Google search and discovered Eric Clapton's first instrument was a ukulele.

I have a couple albums by the Milk Carton Kids but never seen one of their shows. I agree that they could probably do something cool with an ukulele.

You got me thinking about Clapton. I suspected George Harrison might have shown Clapton how to play a ukulele because of their close friendship, so I did a Google search and discovered Eric Clapton's first instrument was a ukulele.

Yea, I forgot about that. Yes, George probably did play some uke with Slowhand.

Donald Trump. A little Aloha Spirit might go a long way. ;) Couldn't hurt, for sure. Not a musical artist, but wrote The Art of the Deal. Can you see it? Carrot top, crazy Hawaiian shirt, lei, strumming Ain't She Sweet? The world would be a better place.

It would have to be a soprano or sopranino due to the size of his hands.

;)

German Lopez, an accomplished timple player.

Those suffering from the opioid epidemic in the hope that they might find some peace of mind.

Top Bottom