Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commercially available reentrant sets of strings for baritone

Default Commercially available reentrant sets of strings for baritone

One very frequent effect of my chord figures is about close dissonances between the outer strings, so I tune most of my ukes with a high 4th string in various keys upwards from C. A couple of Kala Pocket ukes are tuned in Quatro tuning with low 1st and 4th strings.

I am very close to buying a good baritone uke, as I have found a sound I like in the Pono BN series, which are larger and with longer necks, because they really are tenor guitars braced for nylon strings.

The catch is that I havenít yet found a commercially available set of reentrant baritone strings. Preferably fluorocarbon for strings ## 1, 2, & 4 plus a wound G-string.

The supplier of the baritone suggests combining two sets Martin M630.

You may call me cheap, but it would be against my oldfashioned approach to the world to buy 8 strings, where it is pre-planned to scrap 4 of them. Yes I know that it would give me spares for the 1st and 3rd strings, but the most expensive strings, the low Dís would be scrapped.

So please point me to commercially available high end reentrant string sets for the baritone ukulele.

Klaus

PS: Some of you may have seen me write, that I scrap the Aquila strings on incoming ukes. Thatís true, but that is only once in the lifetime of a uke.

Do you mean a reentrant DGBE set? If so then Living Water supply such a set - they are all fluorocarbon, no wounds.

Sounds like you want the Southcoast LHU-W3 or HU-W3 depending on the scale and your tension preference
    http://www.southcoastukes.com/uku-w3.htm
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS O Warm/Worth B

Jim's Blog

Worth Brown Fat Tenor Strings high G will work fine on a 20" Bari for Re entrant dGBE. They are the same as the Baritone set but with a high g/d string. No wounds though. I don't know if Worth Clears are the same.

Thanks for the replies!

The baritone I have cast my eyes and ears on is this not so standard one:

http://www.southernukulelestore.co.u...with-hard-case

There is no sound sample at this site, but Corey at The Ukulele Site (my absolute favourite uke player, because the THINKS ukulele - it sounds so natural, when he plays) plays the BN-1 which is a non-gloss version of the same model.

What I like about this model, is its immediacy, where I find that many even very good baritones have a slight hesitation in building up the full sound. The standard term for what I like may be presence, I am no native English speaker.

The scale is 23". Southern Ukulele Store says that non-wound G strings will be flappy on this model. I have no firsthand experience about that myself. If the Worth strings are long enough to provide 2 sets for the 23" scale I wouldnít mind at all if the optimal pitch would be Ab or Bb (A is not so useful for my purposes). I use Worth soprano strings on my sopraninos, and I like them.

As for the Living Water strings: I have enjoyed Ken Middletonís very musical playing and his review, but I havenít first hand experience with his strings. I have looked at his string sets, and honestly, I wonder about his baritone reentrant set. Not because of the plain G string, but because he uses the same gauge for the 1st and the 4th strings. I have experimented a lot with various string set-ups, and my experience says that if the same gauge is used for two different pitches, than either the higher pitched string will be too tight for comfortable barring the first fret, or the lower pitched string will suffer in the balance. I wonder even more because the tenor set actually uses a string of a gauge between the gauges of the baritone 1st and 2nd strings. So a more optimal gauge for the high D string already is available to Ken Middleton.

I donít doubt the quality of the Southcost strings. Importing from the US to DK isnít foreign to me at all. I have imported low brass instruments, a uke, and even a 36 string harp from there. Only the now law allows our postal system to put a fee on handling the custom process, which equals at least two sets of strings for even importing one set of strings. That is a lot to pay before even the price of the strings, the shipping, and the duty+VAT (30%) are added up.

My ideal solution would be that Martin or Worth, preferably both, made reentrant versions of their linear baritone sets.

Klaus (old & quirky after a long life with music)

You could send Ken Middleton an email - explain what you are looking for and ask about custom sets. He might be able to suggest something that suits your requirements. His strings are IMHO very close to Worth clears (you will see he uses a lot of the same gauges). You could even specify a custom set with a 0.66mm 4th string - you may have to tune down though. But he might be able to suggest a set that will allow you to tune dGBE at 23 inches. It seems like the most economical option if you are in mainland Europe and don't want to go to the trouble of buying single strings to make up your own set.

Edit: I can't understand why an unwound G string would be floppy. Maybe thuddy if it was really thick.
    Last edited by jollyboy; 04-08-2017 at 09:50 AM.

I've not found Fluorocarbon low G strings to be thuddy. Overall, fluorocarbon strings are thinner than equivalent nylon/nylon composition strings. I think the reputation for thuddiness comes from nylon strings. My baritone currently has two wound strings and I am not all that happy with them. I intend replacing them with Living Water in the near future to see how they perform.

I use Living water strings on other ukuleles and I've not found the difference in tension between the g and a strings particularly noticeable.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Tootler mentions the option of buying single strings. That is what I do with my steel string guitars, that I tune reentrant (A & D octave up, 6th string E two octaves up). There I buy them in quantities that give discounts.

Who sells uke strings as singles. Or rather in rolls that I could cut to the needed lengths. There would be overlaps between the gauges for sopraninos, sopranos, concerts, tenors, baritones, and even my nylon/fluorocarbon string guitars that I also tune reentrant. Wouldnít need 4 rolls for each category.

Interesting approach, if I could realise it for ukes also.

Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by imperialbari View Post
    Tootler mentions the option of buying single strings.

Klaus
    Actually I think that was me...

You originally stated that you were looking for an 'off-the-peg' set so I did not mention this option. I currently make up my own baritone sets using Savarez Alliance KF fluorocarbon singles matched with D'Addario silver wounds. The Savarez singles are sold for use on 'Early Period Instruments' (I believe they were originally designed for use on harps) and are a bit tricky to track down. I buy them from this supplier in Germany. IMHO they are very good strings. They come in three different lengths and cover a wide range of gauges. If you wanted to use a wound G string I would recommend trying the D'Addario Nyl031W (available to buy as a single) - this should give you decent tension at 23 inches.

Another option - if you want to invest in spools - is to look at Seaguar fishing line.
    Last edited by jollyboy; 04-08-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Sorry for mixing up names!

Yes, I looked for a readymade reentrant set, as I didnít know of the option of getting wound nylon singles. And about the option of buying fishing lines, then I have run into some dead end roads.

I will look at the given hints now and see how far I get.

Thanks!

Klaus

Thread Information