Commercially available reentrant sets of strings for baritone

IMG_0985.jpg

Entirely a digression:

I knew of the double courses of the baroque lute, but not of those of the baroque guitar. Prompted by a posting in a FaceBook group about historical music I read the Wiki article about the baroque guitar, which usually had 5 double courses.

A box displaying common tuning patterns caught my eyes, as I saw a pattern of reentrant tuning, that aside from the double courses and of the lowest string in A, is similar or quite similar to the reentrant tuning of the baritone ukulele that I am out after.

Looks like some paths of history run in circles.

Klaus

The Pono BN-10 arrived today, and even if I have tuned it up several times, the strings haven’t settled yet. Here my first impressions.

Southern Ukule Store made a reentrant set out of two sets of Martin M630 sets. The 4th string, high D, really is the 2nd string B, from the second set. SUS did so at my request.

Sound is good, but now the 4th string is louder than the 1st string even in plain downstroke strumming.

Against my expectations I haven’t yet come to order the Living Water strings, but I certainly will have to test Ken Middleton’s new reentrant baritone set with the 4th string having its own gauge between those of the 1st and 2nd strings.

The BN-10 appears being very responsive, and I definitely haven’t regretted the idea of having a reentrant baritone.

Klaus

View attachment 99370

Entirely a digression:

I knew of the double courses of the baroque lute, but not of those of the baroque guitar. Prompted by a posting in a FaceBook group about historical music I read the Wiki article about the baroque guitar, which usually had 5 double courses.

A box displaying common tuning patterns caught my eyes, as I saw a pattern of reentrant tuning, that aside from the double courses and of the lowest string in A, is similar or quite similar to the reentrant tuning of the baritone ukulele that I am out after.

Looks like some paths of history run in circles.

Klaus

I recently was looking into renaissance cittern and one tuning given was reentrant BGDE which is not far from a baritone ukulele (same chord on open strings), though as written it looked as if it was an octave higher. Reentrant tuning seems to have been common practice in the Renaissance/Baroque eras.

Top Bottom