Picking up new Uke tonight!

Very nice! For years I have been longing to delve into Baritone foray. Your pics are feeding the fire! Enjoy!

I took the plunge a couple of months ago and love it. I still play my Tenor ukes, but I am really enjoying my Baritone.

Last edited:
It is all fishing line. Florocarbon line was developed for the commerical fishing industry, then recreational fisherman found out about its benifits, then fretted stringed instrument builders. Nylon and monofilment are thicker and stretch more than florocarbon so it was a natural evolution.

Cool! Well after doing some research I canceled my Amazon order for the Martins and ordered a Living Water set from Uke Republic. I want to see if I can stay away from wound strings.

Sweet! I have high hopes for mine!

Congratulations! Mainlands are just pretty darn hard to beat. I've almost jumped at one twice, Mike Hater is a great guy. A very close friend and band member has one, and I love playing it, when she lets me.
You did good! And your photos look great!

Well ... much to my dismay ... I sent my Mainland in for a refund. Once I actually got to play it for awhile I found the set up to be lacking and the intonation to be off by quite a bit. Very flat at the 12th fret. I am sure that Mainland puts out some fine ukes and fine set-ups - just not this one. They were very nice on the phone and sent me a return mailing label so it is in on the UPS truck and headed back. :(

Now I have to figure out what to try next.... Thinking or ordering something from MIM or Uke Republic as they seem have a good reputation for set up. any suggestions?

Too bad about the Mainland. I really like how they look and the general fit and finish. I bought a Kala all solid mahogany Baritone from my local Music store. I know Uke Republic carries that model and the one with the cedar top. They also have some nicer Baritones, but I really like mine. I would like to get an upgrade down the road but will have to wait till my ukulele budget reloads.

I bought a Caramel Baritone last year and put Worth Brown's on it. Non wound strings make a difference. My Zebra wood bari is very nice and plays well, almost perfect intonation and cheap! I want to try a brighter string set though to see how it sounds. I bought a Cedar topped tenor and love the way it sounds (dGBE) but it doesn't have the depth of sound of my Baritone.

Well ... I want ahead and ordered a Kala KA- SMHB solid mahogany back & sides baritone from Hawaii Music Supply (ukulelesite.com). It looks like they do a thorough set up. I am having a K&K pickup installed as well. I ordered a hard case, strap button on the neck heel and tuner too so that kicked my total up to a hair over $400 which is enough to qualify for free shipping. Shipping from Hawaii to Idaho was going to cost $50 so I figured I might as well get the works! :)

Last edited:
Well ... much to my dismay ... I sent my Mainland in for a refund. Once I actually got to play it for awhile I found the set up to be lacking and the intonation to be off by quite a bit.

I've never played or even seen a Mainland but that has to be one of the few (maybe only) reports I've heard like that. Can I ask where it came from? I wonder if something strange could have happened in transit?

Sorry to hear your Mainland didn't work out. I purchased my Mainland from Mike @ Uke Republic and he checks and adjusts every uke's condition & setup before it goes out the door which was likely responsible for my exceptional buying experience from Mike. I've mentioned in other comments my Mainland is not near as loud as my Ohana or Martin concert Ukes, and seems better suited for fingerpicking than strumming.

Best of luck with your new Kala, your pickup install and the proper setup process HMS does will be worth the extra wait..

I am sure that my experience was just a fluke and certainly not the norm. Mike was a pleasure to deal with and sent me return shipping without any hassle.

Top Bottom