Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Picking up new Uke tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    It is all fishing line. Florocarbon line was developed for the commerical fishing industry, then recreational fisherman found out about its benifits, then fretted stringed instrument builders. Nylon and monofilment are thicker and stretch more than florocarbon so it was a natural evolution.
    Cool! Well after doing some research I canceled my Amazon order for the Martins and ordered a Living Water set from Uke Republic. I want to see if I can stay away from wound strings.
    Not Perfect But Forgiven
    John 3: 16 - 17

Sweet! I have high hopes for mine!
    Not Perfect But Forgiven

Congratulations! Mainlands are just pretty darn hard to beat. I've almost jumped at one twice, Mike Hater is a great guy. A very close friend and band member has one, and I love playing it, when she lets me.
    You did good! And your photos look great!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Well ... much to my dismay ... I sent my Mainland in for a refund. Once I actually got to play it for awhile I found the set up to be lacking and the intonation to be off by quite a bit. Very flat at the 12th fret. I am sure that Mainland puts out some fine ukes and fine set-ups - just not this one. They were very nice on the phone and sent me a return mailing label so it is in on the UPS truck and headed back.

Now I have to figure out what to try next.... Thinking or ordering something from MIM or Uke Republic as they seem have a good reputation for set up. any suggestions?
    Not Perfect But Forgiven

Ohana or Kala are usually a safe bet.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Too bad about the Mainland. I really like how they look and the general fit and finish. I bought a Kala all solid mahogany Baritone from my local Music store. I know Uke Republic carries that model and the one with the cedar top. They also have some nicer Baritones, but I really like mine. I would like to get an upgrade down the road but will have to wait till my ukulele budget reloads.

I bought a Caramel Baritone last year and put Worth Brown's on it. Non wound strings make a difference. My Zebra wood bari is very nice and plays well, almost perfect intonation and cheap! I want to try a brighter string set though to see how it sounds. I bought a Cedar topped tenor and love the way it sounds (dGBE) but it doesn't have the depth of sound of my Baritone.

Well ... I want ahead and ordered a Kala KA- SMHB solid mahogany back & sides baritone from Hawaii Music Supply (ukulelesite.com). It looks like they do a thorough set up. I am having a K&K pickup installed as well. I ordered a hard case, strap button on the neck heel and tuner too so that kicked my total up to a hair over $400 which is enough to qualify for free shipping. Shipping from Hawaii to Idaho was going to cost $50 so I figured I might as well get the works!
    Last edited by 4given; 04-18-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    Not Perfect But Forgiven

I have that very uke but with no pickup. I think you will be happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Well ... much to my dismay ... I sent my Mainland in for a refund. Once I actually got to play it for awhile I found the set up to be lacking and the intonation to be off by quite a bit.
    I've never played or even seen a Mainland but that has to be one of the few (maybe only) reports I've heard like that. Can I ask where it came from? I wonder if something strange could have happened in transit?
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA