Picking up new Uke tonight!

4given

Reaction score
Picking up my new uke tonight after work from the FedEx facility. Decided to have it held there rather than sitting on the front porch unattended.

I am a guitar player and have two nice Taylor acoustics. This is my first Uke. I chose a Mainland Barritone with satin finish. The anticipation is half the fun!

Exciting times! Which wood did you go for? I like the look of the mango mainland baritones but never heard one played.

How exciting!

And, smart move. My latest acquisition ended up in my rural mailbox all day and night.

Congratulations! I have recently picked up a Baritone after playing Tenors for several years. I really enjoy it and I am sure you will as well.

Exciting times! Which wood did you go for? I like the look of the mango mainland baritones but never heard one played.

Since it is my first uke I chose the all mahogany as sort of a benchmark. If I end up buying others I may try other woods.

Congratulations! I have recently picked up a Baritone after playing Tenors for several years. I really enjoy it and I am sure you will as well.

Do you use the DGBE tuning on your baritone?

Welcome to the site and to the uke!
IF you buy others? If you can manage to only buy and play one you are in the minority for sure....I try to keep only one at a time usually, but I've gone through many...same with guitars... Currently I don't own any guitars though.. The uke has taken over for now. I hope you'll at least try a soprano at some point too, and the other sizes. Then there is string experimentation...It seems like they make even more difference with ukes than with steel string guitars just due to all of the available materials and sets.
Of course you're ready to play from the start using DGBE tuning. If you're mostly a rhythm player you might not even miss the two extra strings...For me, even though the uke has a couple of less strings I find it more freeing somehow...I don't know how to explain it. It really makes you look at playing different and may even help your guitar playing. Enjoy!

P.S. - Nice user name and sig.

Do you use the DGBE tuning on your baritone?

Yes I do. I decided that I wanted the full effect of the Baritones range. It also adds a bit of color to the sound of the small ukulele group I play with. I was concerned that I would find the different tuning hard to get used to, but it really wasn't. I can switch back and forth realativly easy. My wife might say I am equally bad with both tunings.

Got it! She is a real looker! Here are some pictures. I had them put a strap button on it before they shipped it.

I was surprised that it came with wound strings. Don't know if I like them. Kinda stiff.

IlB0Nv3.jpg

8f5GxdV.jpg

ef8rKvq.jpg

aWHElvx.jpg

Nice photos. What's the story on the B & E strings? I haven't seen any quite like that before. I also just acquired a Baritone (Pono Acacia Deluxe). It is fun to play; but then again, so are the tenors. Enjoy, Don

Congrats on the new Mainland! I have a two - a matte soprano that looks like your baritone's baby sister, and a cedar-topped rosewood baritone with Guadalupe strings also.

How do you like those strings? I think they work really well on the bari.

Top Bottom