Baritone Ukulele Player Questions (Beginning Bari-Uke)

HumbleUker

Reaction score
I have been posting links, videos, books and miscellaneous data for the baritone ukulele player for about 8 years now. The blog has enjoyed many hits from Ukulele Underground postings so I will not feel that my shameless promotion of Humble Baritonics will be too pretentious.

I am glad to see that Ukulele Underground has added a baritone ukulele song on UU+. I have been a big fan of Aldrine and the team and their skillful presentation of songs.

The inspiration for this thread came from a HB reader that was frustrated in his attempts to find a detailed primer for the bari-uke. There are a couple books that were created by Herk Favilla in 1950 that can be found with some effort. Since then, Lil' Rev and Bruce Emery have created excellent books. Both are in DGBE tuning.

1) Lil' Rev -- Hal Leonard Ukulele Primer 2012
2) Bruce Emery -- Baritone Ukulele from Scratch 2011
3) I would also recommend "FretBoard Toolbox Baritone Ukulele Ed."

This post is for David G. If you have other suggestions or additional questions please add to this link.

Thanks,
Jeff / Humble Uker

Bruce Emery's book is really good and goes well with the Christmas carols book he also has for the baritone. Still do miss my baritone. :)

I have a feeling I know where this is going... :rolleyes:

No, no. :p Besides not really being sure about it (okay, that might not stop me!), I'm pretty happy with what I have at the moment. Plus, the baritone I had cost more than my budget currently allows, so replacing it isn't an option. I could get one by Hora, but I think they are more like super tenors (18.something scale). And really, I have more ukes than spare time to play them!

Thanks Jeff, for posting these resources. I've just recently purchased a nice Baritone and am enjoying the new learning experience and the beautiful mellow vibe. However, it's causing my mind to stretch a bit as I switch between the tenors and the baritone (which I hear is a good thing at my age). Thanks again.

Last edited:
You have a good site there - I have (re)directed a few members to it from here when they have asked for info & tabs for the bari. :)

Thank you for leading people to Humble Baritonics. It was perhaps not the most user friendly name to choose and although I've placed 1000's of posts the blog may not be in the first few pop ups.

Bruce Emery's book is really good and goes well with the Christmas carols book he also has for the baritone. Still do miss my baritone. :)

Mivo:

I made contact with Bruce just at the same time he was considering doing a baritone ukulele book. He told be that he played baritone uke as a youngster and had a fondness for it. Bruce is well-known for his self-published Skeptical Guitarist books. I don't play guitar and never have but the deeper sound of the bari encourage my delving into guitar books. Bruce's humor and writing experience probably yields the best overall primer. A second book could easily be developed from it. I do agree with you on the Christmas Carols. I like the harmonized tunes the best. I personally like the fingerpicked bari style and the harmonized tunes suit me well.

Jeff

I've been working through Baritone Ukulele Aerobics by Chad Johnson to be a wonderful method book. It breaks things down into easy things you can work into a practice routine, and has helped me learn many new chords.

I'm pretty much baritone-exclusive, so I'd love to have our own forum!

I've been working through Baritone Ukulele Aerobics by Chad Johnson to be a wonderful method book. It breaks things down into easy things you can work into a practice routine, and has helped me learn many new chords

I wonder if it is suitable for low-g tuning too. Should be more useful than the high-g Aerobics book.

I have a feeling I know where this is going... :rolleyes:

OK, you were right. I bought back my Pono baritone from the person I had sold it to! Perfect condition still too, and sounding wonderful. Should never have sold it! :)

Top Bottom