Song Help Request Different strumming patterns for I'm Yours

Titan56

Reaction score
I've gotten very good at playing I'm yours by Jason Mraz. I'm using a D U D D U D pattern. It sounds kind of, eh. I was wondering what strumming patterns you guys use for this song or others. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

I've gotten very good at playing I'm yours by Jason Mraz. I'm using a D U D D U D pattern. It sounds kind of, eh. I was wondering what strumming patterns you guys use for this song or others. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Some people strum with their fingers and some with their wrists. I strum with the heart and my heart is a bit mercurial. So I basically do whatever I want to do. I do find myself doing a lot of up-strumming and chunking. I like the DDUUDU and clave rhythm. A great resource for under $20 is Li'l Rev's book, Essential Strums and Strokes For the Ukulele. It doesn't give you strum patterns, but it does go into right-hand stuff like finger rolls and triplets to beef up any existing strumming pattern

I think DUD DUD is basically good but it needs a little chunking thrown into the mix. Try palm muting so it sounds more like (d)(u)D (d)(u)D :)

"I'm Yours" has a reggae feel to it. With reggae, typically the strong beats in the bar are 2 and 4, so a starting-point for the strum pattern could be --D---D-
Those beats are best clipped short, so a muting technique helps too - either chunk strum or fret-hand (or left-hand) damping for example. Personally I do that strum with chords a little up the neck so I can damp them with my fret hand.

A youtube search for "Reggae ukulele strums" should come up with some useful ideas for that song.

hth

I might suggest watching the Youtube video of Jason Mraz playing "I'm Your's" on the "Good Morning America" show that was a live outside performance. He features a woman playing ukulele in this song. She does a great job of strumming a" lively swing pattern" with no chunking or muting. The video is called "I'm Your's Best Video recording".

I have struggled with this song too. I watched tutorials and listened to others tell me how it should be played. The bottom line is what pattern and rhythm makes you feel satisfied and pleased. After watching this You Tube video I went back to a basic strumming, feeling the song and not worrying about how others play it.
Reno Dave

I posted previously it was the "Good Morning America Show", I apologize I was wrong it was the "Today" show.

Top Bottom