The E- Chord - Is there an alternative?

I glanced this thread briefly and maybe saw once 1x02 mentioned. So I think this deserves another post.

It is an E chord and done with just 2 fingers. First finger damps also the 3rd C-string. First A-string is most naturally pressed with the third finger and also then the middle finger is ready to press down to get get E7, 1202, when needed.

Ohh I just noticed this from 2 years ago and thank you!! It's preventing me from doing contortions across my fretboard. Little hands with one angled finger make fretting a challenge. Learning an instrument at 60 is a challenge anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20191201_222745.jpg
    IMG_20191201_222745.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 12
im confused as my E is (1402) is it just me that plays it this way or am i playing something else

Yes, Saprono1 -- if you read the whole thread (a big job!), you'll see that 1402 is another way to play E.

Yes, Bill1, 1x02 is a great alternative.

To make it more clear for us beginners, one way to do it is to play a regular E7 chord shape (1202), but lift the middle finger on the C-string just enough to mute the string. Voila! An E chord! It has a deep, rich sound. Compare it to 4442 and 4447 and see (or rather, hear).

I think Mercury's post on page 16 of this thread was the first to suggest the 1x02 shape. He explains why it works:

[FONT=&quot]

The power of the muted string. This Chord is known as: E5/G♯ (1-x-0-2). Given Notes are the same as E major: G♯, E, B. Sounds a bit lower and fuller than the traditional 1st position E major (4-4-4-2) and WAY easier to play, which is a good thing.
[/FONT]

Yes, Bill1, 1x02 is a great alternative.

To make it more clear for us beginners, one way to do it is to play a regular E7 chord shape (1202), but lift the middle finger on the C-string just enough to mute the string. Voila! An E chord! It has a deep, rich sound. Compare it to 4442 and 4447 and see (or rather, hear).

I think Mercury's post on page 16 of this thread was the first to suggest the 1x02 shape. He explains why it works:

[FONT="][URL="https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46590&d=1356143256"]
attachment.php
[/URL]

The power of the muted string. This Chord is known as: E5/G♯ (1-x-0-2). Given Notes are the same as E major: G♯, E, B. Sounds a bit lower and fuller than the traditional 1st position E major (4-4-4-2) and WAY easier to play, which is a good thing.
[/FONT]

This is how I play it. To me it sounds the same, though I don't have a trained ear. Works for how my tiny fingers do (and don't) bend.

I don't know if this was already mentioned. I am a 12 week beginner so take any advice with a pinch of salt.

The easiest way for me to get to play the Chord E. Learn to play D by barring strings G and C with your middle finger and the ring finger on string E (second fret).

Then simply slide down to the fourth fret and plonk your index on the A string second fret. D to E becomes a doddle pretty quickly after that. I just need to find some songs with that progression. :D

With a re-entrant tune uke, we often have the same note in the same octave played for some chords. One of these notes isn't missed much, if at all, if that string is muted.

That's why we can play 444X instead of 4442 (The B is duplicated on the 4th and 1st string) or 1X02 instead of 1402 (The E is duplicated on the 2nd and 3rd strings).

Last edited:
Hey Bill,
Had this problem too. I'm just a newbie, so take this with a grain of salt, but It's been easier for me to play the articulation of the E chord where you barre the fourth fret and hold down the seventh fret on the A string with your pinky finger.
Hope you manage to grow that third hand eventually! I'm still working on mine...
-Avi

Still working on getting an E to work smoothly. A lot of times I go with 444x since I think it sounds a little better than 1x02. I've tried the other options to try and get one finger to cover 2strings and it just doesn't work for me.
Anyway, when finger picking is there a decent alternative to standard E that works? Obviously 444x won't work.
Thanks

Still working on getting an E to work smoothly. A lot of times I go with 444x since I think it sounds a little better than 1x02. I've tried the other options to try and get one finger to cover 2strings and it just doesn't work for me.
Anyway, when finger picking is there a decent alternative to standard E that works? Obviously 444x won't work.
Thanks
Have you tried 4447?

E is my home key and the key I compose with. However, 99% of the time, I'm going to be using E minor pentatonic or E harmonic minor and its modes, so that E major never pops up for me. However, if someone put a gun to my head and said "play something normal for once" I would naturally use these shapes (depending on which pitch I was shooting for)

1X02
444X (I hate 4447)
X 11 12 11

I know that 1402 is the usual default shape but it is rather difficult and it isn't movable.

E is my home key and the key I compose with. However, 99% of the time, I'm going to be using E minor pentatonic or E harmonic minor and its modes, so that E major never pops up for me. However, if someone put a gun to my head and said "play something normal for once" I would naturally use these shapes (depending on which pitch I was shooting for)

1X02
444X (I hate 4447)
X 11 12 11

I know that 1402 is the usual default shape but it is rather difficult and it isn't movable.

Yeah it's the muted strings that are the problem. If you're a Travis pick for example, you can't use the muted strings. I've tried that 1402 and that's a bear too.
Riprock or Mike do you have an alternative that works picking? I don't know the theory to sort out an alternative. Thanks

In the E major shapes I listed above, I mute just out of convenience. You can play all the strings if you want. Those chords would be 1402, 4447, 9877, 9 11 12 11.

Alternatively, you can just pick around the muted strings. If you only have three notes but four beats, you have to play one of the notes twice. I don't think there's any theory involved, you just try a few variations until something sounds good.

In the E major shapes I listed above, I mute just out of convenience. You can play all the strings if you want. Those chords would be 1402, 4447, 9877, 9 11 12 11.

Alternatively, you can just pick around the muted strings. If you only have three notes but four beats, you have to play one of the notes twice. I don't think there's any theory involved, you just try a few variations until something sounds good.

Thanks. Ill try the twice on one of the three strings to see if it works. I still want them get that 4442,,,just because. Still working on smooth transitions.

Thanks. Ill try the twice on one of the three strings to see if it works. I still want them get that 4442,,,just because. Still working on smooth transitions.

I'm still trying to learn ear training, and someone suggested 4402 for an E on my low g uke. I'm trying to learn note breakdown as well, so if I have it right a standard E is made of notes BEG#B? This one would be BEEB. It sounds like an E to my ear. I even threw a tuner on it and it registered as an E.
Any reason this one wouldn't show as an alternate E chord? You seem to understand theory better, so I just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Top Bottom