The E- Chord - Is there an alternative?

BarbaryBill

Reaction score
UK - 30 miles from london and avoiding it when i c
I've searched under E-chord...can't find what I'm looking for.

I guess I'm like most newbies - the E-chord (along with several others needing four fingers) is the chord from hell in terms of finger placement. I'm also pretty certain that short of growing a third hand, I'm not likely to ever get the contortions right!

So My questions are:

1. Is there a harmonic alternative to the E chord? ie what could I get a way with at a push!??

2. Any sneaky tips on finger positions?

3. Suggestions for painless amputations?

Thanks

3-fingered Bill

PS

Shucks ...got my first callous forming....so proud!! It's like a first born! (OK I know ...that's a bit OTT - but you know what I mean!)

Just practice. Really. Use your index finger on the A string and barre G, C and E with your ring finger. You'll be glad you can do it. You won't be able to avoid the chord forever -- might as well learn it. :D

sukie is right. I hated the E chord when I first started, but I just kept putting my index finger on the A string and barring the top 3 with my ring finger (you'll have to make sure it bends back enough as to not mute the A string). Just pick a song with an E chord in it, and practice over and over and over... it is the only way you will get better.

i use my thumb and put it on the fourth fret (top 3 strings) and then index finger on bottom a string (second fret)

i also use my thumb for d

This is one of those things where being face to face with someone who know's how to do it can be invaluable. When I play an E, I use the second method of Woodshed's 10 methods. The trick is the fret hand position. I'm not sure exactly how to describe this but when I play it, I find it waaaaay easier if my fingers are pointing more towards the body of the uke and less towards the top of the neck.

nks for all the advice.....

Just a quickie to thank those that volunteered some ideas and help.

I'm getting better. Not good - but no longer utter crap at finding a clean e-chord - though the C/E strings being cleanly fretted is totally random. Next challenges are play it cleanly and to find it without looking.

Should have it mastered within the next 5 years!!!!

Just a quickie to thank those that volunteered some ideas and help.

I'm getting better. Not good - but no longer utter crap at finding a clean e-chord - though the C/E strings being cleanly fretted is totally random. Next challenges are play it cleanly and to find it without looking.

Should have it mastered within the next 5 years!!!!

Bill, it took me nearly a YEAR to get the e-chord (yeah, I'm just about at my one year uke anniversary) Once you learn that chord a WORLD of music opens up to you.. It is still not easy but... but its wonderful.

1. Is there a harmonic alternative to the E chord? ie what could I get a way with at a push!??

2. Any sneaky tips on finger positions?

3. Suggestions for painless amputations?
The question all beginning ukulelling drips down to: is there an alternative to the E-chord?

Yes indeed. The alternative to the E-chord is more E-chord. Either that, or cowbell.

(Some people may notice I am stepping off of the bent pipe technique. Research turned out that it poses health hazards to young players due to the fact that some pipes contain lead. Stay healthy, kids! To the TS: use the search function with "bent pipe technique" to find some valuable esoteric knowledge hidden in the vaults of UU...)

As others have said, just keep practicing with it. It took me a good year to finally get it down. Once you nail it, a world of songs open up...

Typically the E chord is shown as:
But try 4447. A bit shrill for all songs, but it sometimes works.

Also: consider transposing down a step so the E becomes an easier D. Or even better: so the E becomes a C, G, or F.

I typically do what Ichadwick does... but this way the double up:

picture-126.jpg

Is what I use when the 4447 seems to high for the song...

I used to hate the E shape. But after a week or two, it was just another chord.
Best advice. Practice, practice, practice.

I played guitar for 40+ years and haven't had problems making chord shapes for a few decades. But when I started the uke, I found the small scale and narrow fretboard cramped my hands. My fingers were forced into odd arcs; my wrists bent unnaturally; my elbow flew out and flapped like a turkey's wing when I changed chords.My left and and wrist would ache soon after attempts to play songs that were familiar to me on the guitar.

Now I play the chords with comfort and ease. All because I practice daily.

Top Bottom