Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: The E- Chord - Is there an alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    I glanced this thread briefly and maybe saw once 1x02 mentioned. So I think this deserves another post.

It is an E chord and done with just 2 fingers. First finger damps also the 3rd C-string. First A-string is most naturally pressed with the third finger and also then the middle finger is ready to press down to get get E7, 1202, when needed.
    Ohh I just noticed this from 2 years ago and thank you!! It's preventing me from doing contortions across my fretboard. Little hands with one angled finger make fretting a challenge. Learning an instrument at 60 is a challenge anyway.

Barred E explained nicely in this video at 4"40
    https://youtu.be/G5N198Kbd4U
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

im confused as my E is (1402) is it just me that plays it this way or am i playing something else

Yes, Saprono1 -- if you read the whole thread (a big job!), you'll see that 1402 is another way to play E.

Yes, Bill1, 1x02 is a great alternative.

To make it more clear for us beginners, one way to do it is to play a regular E7 chord shape (1202), but lift the middle finger on the C-string just enough to mute the string. Voila! An E chord! It has a deep, rich sound. Compare it to 4442 and 4447 and see (or rather, hear).

I think Mercury's post on page 16 of this thread was the first to suggest the 1x02 shape. He explains why it works:

The power of the muted string. This Chord is known as: E5/G♯ (1-x-0-2). Given Notes are the same as E major: G♯, E, B. Sounds a bit lower and fuller than the traditional 1st position E major (4-4-4-2) and WAY easier to play, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    Yes, Bill1, 1x02 is a great alternative.

To make it more clear for us beginners, one way to do it is to play a regular E7 chord shape (1202), but lift the middle finger on the C-string just enough to mute the string. Voila! An E chord! It has a deep, rich sound. Compare it to 4442 and 4447 and see (or rather, hear).

I think Mercury's post on page 16 of this thread was the first to suggest the 1x02 shape. He explains why it works:

[FONT="]

The power of the muted string. This Chord is known as: E5/G♯ (1-x-0-2). Given Notes are the same as E major: G♯, E, B. Sounds a bit lower and fuller than the traditional 1st position E major (4-4-4-2) and WAY easier to play, which is a good thing.
    [/FONT]
    This is how I play it. To me it sounds the same, though I don't have a trained ear. Works for how my tiny fingers do (and don't) bend.

i like 4447, it gets you used to barring
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    Brunswick BU4-B baritone called Kalua
    Fender DG5 Dreadnought guitar named Tilly
    Tanglewood Discovery guitar
    Valencia hybrid classical guitar

My Music Blog

Thread Information