Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The E- Chord - Is there an alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaryBill View Post
    Just a quickie to thank those that volunteered some ideas and help.

I'm getting better. Not good - but no longer utter crap at finding a clean e-chord - though the C/E strings being cleanly fretted is totally random. Next challenges are play it cleanly and to find it without looking.

Should have it mastered within the next 5 years!!!!
    Bill, it took me nearly a YEAR to get the e-chord (yeah, I'm just about at my one year uke anniversary) Once you learn that chord a WORLD of music opens up to you.. It is still not easy but... but its wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaryBill View Post
    1. Is there a harmonic alternative to the E chord? ie what could I get a way with at a push!??

2. Any sneaky tips on finger positions?

3. Suggestions for painless amputations?
    The question all beginning ukulelling drips down to: is there an alternative to the E-chord?

Yes indeed. The alternative to the E-chord is more E-chord. Either that, or cowbell.

(Some people may notice I am stepping off of the bent pipe technique. Research turned out that it poses health hazards to young players due to the fact that some pipes contain lead. Stay healthy, kids! To the TS: use the search function with "bent pipe technique" to find some valuable esoteric knowledge hidden in the vaults of UU...)
    sigs disabled kthxbai

I've been working on a H chord that might put an end to this discussion.

LOL HH.

I used to hate the E shape. But after a week or two, it was just another chord. Just tackle that beast. Play songs with alot of E, and get used to that bad boy.

As others have said, just keep practicing with it. It took me a good year to finally get it down. Once you nail it, a world of songs open up...

my favorite e chord is a f Change Key lol

Typically the E chord is shown as:
    But try 4447. A bit shrill for all songs, but it sometimes works.

Also: consider transposing down a step so the E becomes an easier D. Or even better: so the E becomes a C, G, or F.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

I typically do what Ichadwick does... but this way the double up:

Is what I use when the 4447 seems to high for the song...
    -Andy

YouTube|Twitter|E-Mail|The Blog|Facebook
    They're all snipes. Usually Seeso snipes them. He just tried it but didn't get it. HA! -sukie
    Katie replied, "You poho people are like drug addicts and you're each others drugs".- salukulady

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    I used to hate the E shape. But after a week or two, it was just another chord.
    Best advice. Practice, practice, practice.

I played guitar for 40+ years and haven't had problems making chord shapes for a few decades. But when I started the uke, I found the small scale and narrow fretboard cramped my hands. My fingers were forced into odd arcs; my wrists bent unnaturally; my elbow flew out and flapped like a turkey's wing when I changed chords.My left and and wrist would ache soon after attempts to play songs that were familiar to me on the guitar.

Now I play the chords with comfort and ease. All because I practice daily.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Easiest way I've figured out to do it is like this:

Use the first three fingers to hit the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string on the the 4th fret, then use the base of your index finger to hit the 1st string, second fret.

Thread Information