The E- Chord - Is there an alternative?

I've had nothing but sound advice in here and the best was -

:worship:

Practise practise, practise, Practise, practise, practise

Well it worked - I think. It wasn't pretty to look at. sounded little muffed at times but ....By Jove ....I think I got it!!!!!!

Not slick enough to use yet - but the fear has gone!!

Thanks again all!!!!!!

What until tomorrow when you try it again, It'll be even easier. That practice really comes in handy.

Index finger - A string 2nd fret
Thumb - G, C and E strings 4th fret

Disadvantages: Makes changing to and from other chords difficult. Almost always sounds horrible.

Man, that hurt. Right in the gut.

In my opinion, it sounds just as "horrible" as the rest of the variations, and two fingers is easier than four.

Last edited:
Related subject - G & G7

On the G ...I find the G7 easier to leap to and from F and c chords (like an anchor point) and I can't tell - 'cos I'm new to all this - a difference between a G7 and a G chord sounds

Is this a heinous crime or is it permissible are there times which i have yet to discover where this will cause problems?

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I'll chime in anyway...

Sometimes the G7 may work, but not always. The G7 wants you to play another note afterwards. That's kind of what the 7s do.

It's best if I repeat myself on my mantra -- practice, practice, practice.

I remember when I first started playing ukulele it was impossible to make the G chord sound right. Now I don't give it another thought.

bar second fret with pointer finger and bar the top 3 strings of the 4the fret with your ring finger. it looks hard looking at a chord chart but if you barr it its easy

How about a double-neck uke with the upper neck tuned to an open E chord? Play the rest of your stuff on the lower neck, then strum the upper whenever you need an E.... :D

Ha! Figured out a way to wrap my giant hand around that tiny fretboard so that an E comes out. Sweetness.

I'm far from actually playing it tho, takes about a minute to get everything in place, but that'll work out eventually.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this already (unless I missed it), but if you're barring the 2nd fret with your index finger and trying to do a partial barre on the 4th fret with your ring finger then it doesn't matter if you accidentally mute the first string with your ring finger...the first string is doubling the B on the fourth string (especially if you're playing with reentrant tuning in which case they're the exact same note). In fact, if it's easier for you to do a partial barre with a different finger you can just barre the 4th fret and lazily bend your finger so the first string is muted...you still have an E chord (444X instead of 4442).

Last edited:
when i searched the web, i found this way:
E.png

and it's not that hard to play!

The question is whether or not it's hard to play in the context of a chord progression...in other words, is it easy to change to quickly after the chord before it and then change quickly to the chord after it? In some cases it may be, in others not. (Or for some people it may be, for others not.) That's one reason why it's good to know (and practice) several variations.

(BTW, the easiest alternative to the standard E chord is to tune your A string to a G!)

Last edited:
Just practice. Really. Use your index finger on the A string and barre G, C and E with your ring finger. You'll be glad you can do it. You won't be able to avoid the chord forever -- might as well learn it. :D
Good advice. I'm only about a month into my uke journey, and after avoiding E for a while, I realized I just can't hide from it anymore!

Thanks for this! I've been working on #3 (what sukie described), but it almost always ends up coming out like #5..... arrrgghhhh!! practice, practice, practice, I guess!

On the G ...I find the G7 easier to leap to and from F and c chords (like an anchor point) and I can't tell - 'cos I'm new to all this - a difference between a G7 and a G chord sounds

Is this a heinous crime or is it permissible are there times which i have yet to discover where this will cause problems?

In the key of C, you can get away with this 98% of the time. In the key of D you can get away with it about 95% of the time.

It is great when you are first starting out, as you can use the simple forms you are well practiced with to play songs for people… Meanwhile you can work on the harder stuff when you are alone.

(Wish I could actually stick to that plan on Harmonica… anything I can play well I tend to not play… instead I will start working on something new and everyone around me suffers).

How about muting the A string! Then you can just barre G C E string with middle finger, leaving the pinky for muting strum if necessary.

This is what I do..

I actually play it with my first finger on the A string and ring finger barring the rest, but I'm sure the barring is the hellish part yea? Cuz that was definitely the difficult part for me! So an alternative that I sumtimes use is putting my 1st 3 fingers where the bar should be, and muting the A string with the rest of my hand/palm. Hope this helps even a little bit!

when i searched the web, i found this way:
E.png

I don't understand why this version isn't the first alternative to those with problems with the E, especially those with big hands.

I only play this E, and sometimes the bar 4/4th string 7th fret version.

I'd rather play this and practice changing from other chords to this one. The "normal" E chord takes practice to get right, then you have to practice chord changes into that. This one eliminates the 1st part, at least for me. Now I practice chord transitions into this E and eventually it's smooth and sounds good. But like everything it's not like fingering it this way automatically makes all the songs with E chords easy to play, you have to practice.

I play this one: index on 1st fret, middle on 2nd fret, and pinky on 4th fret.

People, people, don't you know?

The C-chord is the new E-chord! Strum hard and no one will ever notice.

C! :nana: C! :nana: C! :nana:

P.S. F is the new A-chord, and G is the new B-chord. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Top Bottom