NUD: Martin S1

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I tried to fight this one, but I lost in the end. Last week a local music store posted an S1 for sale at a great price (about $100 less than other used models). I don't play soprano that much, but since it is Martin's 100th celebration and ukulele and Martin have such a long history, I have wanted a Martin ukulele for a while. Furthermore, I have loved Martin guitars for some time, but have never owned one.

I used some contacts to see if I could get a better deal--but they weren't willing to budge--so I caved in today and bought it.

I immediately swapped out the strings to Martin 600s, which I use on most of my ukuleles.

I know this is the entry level Martin soprano, but I consider my Martin "itch" itched now, and I am interested to see how this ukulele changes over time--and to see how much I play it. It is my first ukulele with a compensated saddle, and my first with Grover tuners.

Anyone know what year this one would have been made? Model number 15093.

IMG_4336_zpslugmxtwz.jpg

IMG_4339_zpsbxmsnehi.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4339_zpsbxmsnehi.jpg
    IMG_4339_zpsbxmsnehi.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 8
Congratulations! That's a really nice looking Martin!

How about some more pictures and a sound sample?

Scooter

Congratulations, Choirguy! My favorite thing about the Martin look is the carved end of the fretboard. Such a graceful shape.

Congrats, Choirguy! You will love the Martin sound. Just to clarify, that is not the Martin S1 Centennial edition. The Centennial edition has a different headstock with the Martin logo imprinted on the back side. It also has a black nut and saddle.

Thanks, bikemech...I knew it wasn't a Centennial...I am trying to figure out what year it was built...could be anywhere from 2010 to 2016 (I'm pretty sure it isn't a 2017 version). I'm uploading a video now and will post it later.

Congrats! I do love mine. It brings me joy daily. Mine has opened up nicely and i consider myself a soprano guy these days. It ticks all the boxes.

I like that birds beak too , all square end fretboards look unfinished to my eye.

Last edited:
I like that birds beak too , all square end fretboards look unfinished to my eye.

Bird's beak! I love it!

Just checked out my little Mainland to see how the fretboard end was finished. I couldn't remember! LOL! It actually looks like an inverted rooftop, the opposite of Martin's three-pointed headstock. Now I'm playing it. I would love to A/B it with a Martin S-1. The mahogany is just heavenly. Such a rich sound. The Mainland is my only hog uke. Now I REALLY want a Martin, too!

I think on the receipt for my Bruko, Mr. Pfeiffer called my fretboard end a heart. Which I hadn't thought of till then. Negative space. It's also, as Belle said, an inversion of the headstock shape. The little doohickey on the end of the really high-priced Martins and Kiwayas (it has a name, I just can't think of it) is the same shape. I really like that little doohickey even though it adds exactly nothing to sound or playability.

Last edited:
Looks great! I like the fretboard shape as well. I've always thought that it gave the martins a distinctive look without a lot of bling.

regarding the original question regarding S1 serial numbers, I've been looking for that info. as well. I bought sn 14208 a couple months ago from my local music store and I know it hung on the wall there for a good 6-8 months before I took it home. If anyone knows the rhyme or reason on the numbering system, I'd love to know!

I had to e-mail a couple of times, but Martin eventually got back to me with the fact that it is (as expected) a 2016 model. I picked it up for nearly $200 than a new model, and it was in perfect shape. No Regrets.

On a related note, Martin is closed for a week right now..so don't expect an answer!

UK378, I see you have a thing for hog sopranos (come to look at it, it appears I have one for koa)! Do you have a favorite, and do you use different ones for different kinds of music?

UK378, I see you have a thing for hog sopranos (come to look at it, it appears I have one for koa)! Do you have a favorite, and do you use different ones for different kinds of music?

My most played at the minute is the Ohana SK35G strangley. It has a sweet voice, Martin M600's are a must. Why they put out decent instruments with Aquilas is beyond me. You need the Martins to hear the instruments real voice.

The Timms has a warm but barky tone, the best of the bunch really. It lives in a hard case and doesn't come out as much. Not easy to replace like the rest. I'm careful with them all but...

The Martin has a tone all of its own. Bark is there with a bright plinky tone. The least warm, very sticatto. Very well built.

The Wunderkammer on order is old school built. All hand crafted no cnc. Time will tell with it.

I like the variation in tone. I enjoy playing everything from Eddie Veddar to a Roy Smeck. Traditional stuff. The Ohana has the neutral tone for the less traditional stuff. Although it doesn't escape it. :)

How about you? That's a nice sig, I did have the Koaloha KCM 00 earlier this year and the C1K. Love the change but I'm set on the hog sopranos now. :)

Edit, just to add I have the Ohana SK 38 on the way. Won it yesterday. Had one quite a while back. The madness continues. :)

Edit 2, for the serial. My Martin S1 serial is, 14568 and I have had it around 6 months.

Last edited:
I contacted Martin customer service about serial numbers on the Martin SO 's and they told me they have no idea, they dont keep track of the serial numbers.
I thought that was a crazy answer , but that is what I was told.

Top Bottom