Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best strings for a Baritone?

Default Best strings for a Baritone?

Daughter plays a Baritone and my local shop rarely has any strings at all, so if I'm ordering online what is/are some of the better strings for a Baritone? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Christopher View Post
    Daughter plays a Baritone and my local shop rarely has any strings at all, so if I'm ordering online what is/are some of the better strings for a Baritone? Thanks!
    I have Living Water strings on mine. Love them!

Quote Originally Posted by vcs700s View Post
    I have Living Water strings on mine. Love them!
    Have not as yet tried the Living Water baritone strings, however Southcoast has a nice selection of baritone strings.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Kamaka HF-4 Baritone C Linear Tuning 6/2009
    Martin C-1K Concert, Bb Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    Kala KA SRMT-TRI Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/1/2015
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Re-entrant Tuning 6/21/2016
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018

I like the Martin M630 set - nicely balanced sound.
    I'd like to be under the sea...

Quote Originally Posted by jollyboy View Post
    I like the Martin M630 set - nicely balanced sound.
    These are very good, my go to string set. Another set that some guitar shops carry are D'Addarios titanium baritone set. The Aquila Reds are a set I have just recently installed on one of my baritones and I like them a lot.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 05-09-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Have heard more positive reviews of Southcoast bari strings than any others. Pretty much any setup you want with one brand.
    Last edited by PhilUSAFRet; 05-08-2017 at 12:44 AM.

Depends on what sound you (or she) want to achieve, and if you prefer all unwound strings, or a combination of 3-1 or 2-2 unwound/wound. Worth and - I think - Living Water are unwound. I use three unwound strings from the Worth Clear set in combination with a wound Fremont Soloist Low G in order to avoid the boominess/droning you sometimes get from an all unwound string at low tension. However, I am now using an all unwound Fremont Blackline Tenor set on one of my Baritones and am very happy with it, as the strings blend together nicely without the scratching noise of a wound string nor the boominess of some unwound strings. I always like Southcoast strings as well, altough they have so many different sets that it may get confusing. The Martins and D'Addarios were too dull for my taste, but that may depend on the specific instrument.

I have Living Water flouros on my cedar topped Kala, I get a lovely loud but mellow tone with lots of sustain.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Is everyone on this thread tuning their baritones the same way? DGBE? I'm finding myself more and more confused about strings, especially as I'm playing mine in fifths tuning (GDAE). I've got to get my act together, as I suspect from what I've seen so far that I'll need to change them far more often than those on my other instruments. I already had a wound 3rd break (big shocker, as the flatwound Thomastiks on my mandolas and mandolins have never broken yet, and typically last me for years).

Anyway, now I'm reading about using tenor sets on baritones... really? ...and I just don't know what's what. I've no idea what was on my baritone to begin with, as the seller had no idea, as he did not change them himself. (That's a new one on me, as well. Who doesn't know? Sheesh.) I kept the top two, but don't know if they're nylon or fluoro (how do you tell the difference?) and put on wound classical guitar strings for the bottom two. The 3rd, tuned to low D, broke in less than a month, and I replaced it with more expensive Thomastik one, but am not fond of the wound strings in general, as they are not completely noiseless as my mandola strings are. I suspect no unwound string will be good for the second G below middle C, though....

If I knew what the heck I was doing gauge-wise, I'd go and buy some rolls of Seaguar fluorocarbon leader, but at this stage I'm afraid I'll get something that's not quite right and will be stuck with it. Would love to do that eventually for my CGDA tuned tenor as well, which I know has fluoros, but I only kept the top two on it, and put a Thomastik .030 and a viola C string on it. I suspect, at the rate things are going, that I'll be replacing them one by one as they break or unravel, like I do with my viola, rather than all four at a time.

Who knew this string selection business could be so weird?

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Living Waters makes a re-entrant high D dGBE set that I liked
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Thread Information