Value of 1903 Martin?

mswiggins

Reaction score
Someone local is selling this on craigslist.

I know nothing about old Martin's.

What is your opinion of this? They are asking $400

00J0J_9BPJ1swOCoY_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_cNClOPmB99d_1200x900.jpg

I'd be suspicious of the stamping on the headstock. It looks like it may have been added long after the uke was made. Caveat Emptor!

1903? Wasn't the first Martin ukulele built in 1916?

$400 is a very good price for a 1930 Style 0. I have one from the same year, and I paid a lot more from it. However, I bought it from a reputable vintage instrument dealer (Bernunzio), so I felt very confident in my purchase. There are thousands of vintage Style 0s out there for the buying, so if this deal feels even a little shady, move on.

It could be a very good deal. Perhaps you can go to see and play the instrument. If you could find someone who has knowledge of these instruments they could also take a look to see if there are any issues. At the very least you could take more pictures and send to some of the folks out there who really know these instruments to get input.

Hard to say from the pictures - could have been exposed to a bit of moisture at some stage and maybe a few cracks behind the bridge? See if you can check it out and play it if it sounds great you got yourself a great player for whatever price you can negotiate��

Could have been exposed to high moisture for a little while - I have seen similar looking stamps due to that.
However all guess work and best to go see for yourself f you can.

Top Bottom