What is wrong with my form?

4given

Reaction score
So a little background first. I have been playing guitar, both acoustic and electric for about 25 years. Not what I would call a great player but I can hold my own as a rhythm player and I frequently perform onstage singing and playing.

I recently bought a baritone uke. It is all set up properly from HMS. I have it tuned DGBE and figured, hey, should be able to hit the ground running since it is tuned like a guitar.

The problem is that little tiny neck! Not so much the width but the thinness is killing me right now. The uke frets easy but I an having a hard time getting clean ringing chords on some chords in the first position especially an Fmaj.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you holding the neck " a la guitar?" with thumb wrapped around the neck or in the classical style with the thumb centered on the back of the neck? Most ukers, many of which also play guitar center the thumb on the back of the neck for more precise finger placement on the fretboard.

Take your pick of tutorials: https://www.google.com/#q=youtube,+how+to+hold+a+ukulele+neck&spf=1494617650548

Last edited:
Guitar players are used to wrapping their palm around the neck. On the uke and baritone try getting in the habit of placing your thumb on the back of the neck and dropping your wrist down and forward. Try doing this and relax. Try the lightest pressure on your strings. With some experimenting you will find that it doesn't take much. The guitar strings tension are so much tighter than the baritone. It will take a little practice to change this habit.

Bar chords try having your bar finger with the first knuckle to tip up past the strings. You should get a cleaner ring this way.

It won't take long until your guitar will feel like a baseball bat.

Try changing wrist position or holding the neck a little shallower in the hand.

The problem is that little tiny neck! Not so much the width but the thinness is killing me right now. The uke frets easy but I an having a hard time getting clean ringing chords on some chords in the first position especially an Fmaj.
Any help would be appreciated.
Just try to remember what it was like 25 years ago when you first started playing guitar - it probably wasn't all natural.

Not every neck shape suites everybody. Some ukuleles like the Pono for instance have a thicker neck. Try calling Andrew at HMS and maybe he can recommend an alternative that will work better for you. If he can they have a very liberal return policy.

-- Gary

Thanks for the tips! I try a few things and see what work for me.

My usual advice to beginners:
Don't try to play like a rockstar with the uke dangling somewhere around your knees, rather hold your uke up high with the neck pointing upwards (40° angle is no problem) and the headstock approx on shoulder height. Use a strap when necessary to assist you. Thumb's place is behind the neck, slightly supporting from below (aka "classical guitar posture"). Fingers, wrist and forearm remain more or less straightened out and realxed, no sharp angles anywhere.
And don't fret too hard, ukulele strings don't need to be sqeezed into the fretboard. Experiment a bit to find just the amount of pressure where the notes begin to ring clearly - no need for more.

Thanks All! I'm getting the hang of it now1

Top Bottom