Martin Centennial Rollcall

Another Martin Style 1 Centennial reporting in!

Found serial # 15655 for sale on Reverb during their 4th of July Sale. Don't know how there was even one left out there in the retail world. Perhaps someone returned it? Anyway, I jumped and it arrived yesterday. Here is the sound hole proudly displaying its digits. :)

IMG_7364.jpg

Congrats OhioBelle! Nice find! Will get you added to the registry away. Enjoy it, I find the subtle throwback differences very appealing.

Thanks, ukuleden! Those vintage touches, and the chance to participate in Martin's nod to ukulele history, is why I went for it. I particularly like the reddish-orange glow of the stain. It sets off the very straight-grain of the mahogany quite nicely. The morado on the bridge and fingerboard has a very pretty stripe.

IMG_7366.jpgIMG_7367.jpg

The one tiny quibble I have has already been mentioned by others (to include Baz in his review of the S1). That white sound hole decal is a bit stark, even more so with the darker color of the Centennial. Other than that, it would be a perfect look.

You're welcome! And thanks to Ukecaster who is also updating his original post at the top of this thread with the list too.

I completely agree with about the contrast in the stain being very appealing on the Centennial compared to the standard S1. While that isn't something Martin went out of their way to point out, when you put both side by side you can see the attraction to the Centennial's finish. Regarding the Morado, one doesn't even have to be open minded to like the look. I too like the Morado. Being in the Rosewood family and sourced in South America, some have pointed out it's color and grain qualities of the elusive and now very expensive Brazilian Rosewood.

You are so right, ukeleden, about the resemblance to Brazilian. So wondering how CITES classifies morado, I googled it. It's not actually a Dalbergia, but a closely related species sometimes referred to as Pau Ferro or Bolivian Rosewood. So there you go. Pretty, and not (yet!) prohibited!

And thank you, ukecaster, for adding my number to the list. Now off to take comparison pics of this Centennial to my vintage 1K....

Before I first heard of Morado being used for musical instruments, a friend of mine who builds high-end custom furniture and cabinetry had used Morado in certain applications for it's appearance, availablity and reasonable cost. So I am not too surprised to see instrument makers sourcing it for their builds too.

Would love to see a pics of your Centennial next to your vintage 1K... Enjoy!

Bought one off eBay - 15773

Style 1 #15822
completely sealed in original box.......

I just acquired Martin Centennial Style 3 serial #2230085

Jim

This uke does sound really nice! I did a blind test and this and Ken Timms came up tops. Now only if Ken did 17 frets for some the songs I play and bling..

I just went for Centenntials Style 1 #15821 AND #16022.

I felt kind of pity for them lying around in a Finish online store for years now, so I ordered both, heading to Germany as we speak. :D

Pictures coming up as soon as they land. I might sell one right away. Pretty curious about the differences in sound though.

Wow, 2 Centennials! Double congrats to you, they are nice ukes! Looking forward to your pics.

Last edited:
I just went for Centenntials Style 1 #15821 AND #16022.

I felt kind of pity for them lying around in a Finish online store for years now, so I ordered both, heading to Germany as we speak. :D

Pictures coming up as soon as they land. I might sell one right away. Pretty curious about the differences in sound though.

Just out of curiosity, did you order them from Kitarapaja (https://www.kitarapaja.com/) ?

Yes, and since I took both, shipping was free.

Ha, I knew it! That was the only place I knew that still had the Centennials. I've visited them a couple of times (nice guitar shop btw) and they told me that they had gotten other orders from abroad before since those Centennials are so rare, particularly since they were launched all the way back in 2017.

Also, this means that I've played one of your ukes. :D

Top Bottom