Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ukes on ebay?

Default Ukes on ebay?

Im looking at a uke on ebay but im a little put off by the fact that its on ebay... its a pono, so the brand quality is high and the seller has good reviews, but in anyones opinion would it be worth it to pay the little bit more money to get it from HMS or ukerepublic or mims? Has anyone had any horror stories with ukes on ebay? Im also worried about the pono itself, i hear people LOVE pono but ive also heard that there are duds that just dont sound as good. Any feedback would be great!

No horror stories, but I will say that every uke I've bought on eBay has been re-homed soon thereafter. They've all been well-regarded brands, but as you said - some can just be duds. Every uke is different, even the same models from the same manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    No horror stories, but I will say that every uke I've bought on eBay has been re-homed soon thereafter. They've all been well-regarded brands, but as you said - some can just be duds. Every uke is different, even the same models from the same manufacturers.
    Yeah thatd my main concern, im lookong for an upgrade and i just dont want to take a gamble on sound quality, especially when its going to cost a couple hundred if it turns out a dud. Anyone know where they sell good quality solid wood ukes in Utah or idaho area? All the local shops here in Rexburg idaho are pretty small and only carry a select few brands, no solid woods. The only "name brand" uke you find here is kala. Or amahi if anyones heard of them. Anyways if anyone knows a place let me know!

I'd suggest you buy from Mims or HMS, they will make sure it is set up & plays well.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

yeah go HMS or any place that gives a good setup. a good setup will make you enjoy your ukulele 100 times when not.
    do not buy from ebay. there buyer protection really sucks incase you get a damaged ukulele.

I got my Pono second hand from someone who bought from HMS. Win-win

Mike @UkeRepublic.com also carries Pono and I can personally attest to the great set-up and care in packing, delivery and communication provided after multiple purchases there. I too have had mixed experiences on eBay, but it was on eBay I found and purchased my '60s Martin Soprano which was a stellar find in like-new condition that was listed by the widow of the original owner who apparently bought it and rarely played it. So eBay can be a mixed bag.

With Pono on ebay, I'd check it's not a factory second. I've seen sellers advertise these before without making explicit mention of the fact. Not to say there's anything wrong with buying a second but, y'know, full disclosure always seems like a good policy to me.
    I'd like to be under the sea...

I've bought a lot of things off of eBay over the years. My experience of eBay is that you take a chance and mostly its fine, there are protections in place and very occasionally I've used them.

It helps if you can work out why the vendor is selling. Occasionally some new goods are not completely perfect and the imperfection may or may not matter. 'Let the buyer beware' is sensensible advice for eBay and for mail order in general. I recently spent over £100 with a well regarded UK supplier who assured me that my Uke would arrive in perfect condition and all ready to play; it arrived well packed, working and without any visible defects and damage but the string height was awful and I had to spend a lot of time working on the nut - some dealers trade on a better than deserved reputation.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 01-10-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Don't distrust eBay as a matter of principle. (At least if you're in the U.S.) As with anything you buy there, the seller's reputation is important. For instance, Mim sells much of her inventory through eBay, and as far as I'm concerned, she's the best dealer stateside for the brands she offers.

If you're buying something used, I agree with Graham that it's a good idea to find out why the uke's available. An honest seller will tell you and should disclose if there are any potential concerns.
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Thread Information