Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soprano vs. long neck soprano (help me decide)

Default Soprano vs. long neck soprano (help me decide)

So aside from the obvious playability advantages of a concert scale, please help me decide on either a classic soprano or a long neck soprano.

I don't mind playing the smaller scale of a Soprano, but the longer neck makes holding it a little more comfortable on the couch, but I also love the classic soprano twang. How will the longer neck affect the sound?

One caveat, if I get the long neck I will tune down 1/2 step.

I appreciate your thoughts.

It will sound a little less like a standard soprano and a little more like a concert due to string tension issues.

I thought body size, not scale, was the primary determinate of sound?

In addition to the longer neck, the bridge is usually mounted closer to the bottom of the uke. I find that I have to arch my wrist more while strumming to avoid rubbing the bridge. Not a deal-breaker, but take it into consideration. I like the extra fretboard length so it's worth it to me.
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

14:29044

If you like to pick a melody as well as strum, the longer neck makes it easier, has a touch more sustain & slightly deeper sound, of course depends to a degree on the strings.

It's personal, but I like a long neck, with a low G.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by kente777 View Post
    I thought body size, not scale, was the primary determinate of sound?
    Insure the strings you use on it are not just lengthened soprano strings but concert sized strings that have a slightly larger diameter than soprano strings.

Quote Originally Posted by kente777 View Post
    So aside from the obvious playability advantages of a concert scale, please help me decide on either a classic soprano or a long neck soprano.

I don't mind playing the smaller scale of a Soprano, but the longer neck makes holding it a little more comfortable on the couch, but I also love the classic soprano twang. How will the longer neck affect the sound?

One caveat, if I get the long neck I will tune down 1/2 step.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Until recently I played a (Concert Scale) long neck Soprano as my preferred instrument. I found it comfortable to use and easier to carry around than a Concert. My recollection is of the bridge being in virtually the same place on both standard and long neck versions with the extra scale length being taken up in the extended neck. Martin M600 strings are, I believe, suitable for both Soprano and Concert scale lengths so no worries there.

I found the sound of the long neck similar to the Soprano and different from a Concert. MIM has some good long neck Soprano videos for you to check out, well I found them helpful. If my particular long neck Soprano had had a wider neck and wider spaced strings I'd still be playing it so my recommendation is to get one.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-29-2017 at 09:04 AM.

A longneck soprano will sound differently compared to a regular soprano from the same builder and made from the same wood. But as none of my sopranos sound the same, nor have the exact same body dimensions (some are deeper or wider), the impact of the scale length on the sound probably can't be generalized. Strings matter also.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    interesting...in that vid, to my ears, the soprano sounded a tad louder, with more bark. With higher string tension on the longneck, I expected the opposite.
    John

Thread Information