Can it be fixed?

mdavis86

Reaction score
First uke and while sanding my sound board the sander caught a very small sliver and ripped a nice piece out. Not all the way through it, but there is no sanding this one out. Will filling it mess with the sound much? What should I fill it with?
I'm using African Mahogany that I already had from a different project.IMG_7271.jpgIMG_7271.jpg

Unfortunate, but these things happen. All part of the fun. Just fill with sawdust and glue and nobody will ever notice. Except me and you. Will not effect sound.

Time to teach yourself how to do an abalone or MOTS inlay perhaps?
Max

If you can find the sliver..you can glue it back in....In the past have spent time on my knees looking for splinters of mahogany that have gone astray when trimming back the edges...doesn't happen much these day since I learned the correct procedure ;) next time sand with a block by hand.

Last edited:
Can you use a bit of the offcut of the edges and match the grain? A little glue and then sand it down by hand.

Is that an unattached and unbraced top? If so, can you not use the other side as the "show" side, then you could fill the gap without worry. Failing that, I would do as suggested above and glue in a matching sliver. Using filler of any description always seem to show, at least when I've tried it. Good luck.

Can you use a bit of the offcut of the edges and match the grain? A little glue and then sand it down by hand.

Absolutely you can, but this can become a zero sum situation after awhile as spending WAY too much time on niggling details. If you can, like Ken says, find that chip out piece somewhere on the deck and glue it back on. Always the best way to go. Failing that (which is usually the case), improvise and glue and get on with it. It is the building of the thing that matters. Yeah it sucks, but we have to move on to the things that matter like getting the neck on straight.

A few options:
1. Flip it over...Make that the inside face of the top. No one would see it and it would probably have a brace to support it
2. Adjust your layout so that chip falls in the sound hole area. (if you have a long enough piece of wood anyway)
3. Fill it with clear CA, it won't show much
4. Add other chips and fill with black epoxy....call it worm holes or something

Top Bottom