Thread: Ukulele Way Books vs Videos

Default Ukulele Way Books vs Videos

Anyone else doing James Hill Ukulele Way course?

Hi
    I opted to buy the books only and I am going ok. However, I don't have previous experience of musical notation and it can be a bit hard to work out what is to be played ie. Book 4 Lesson 3 Santa Lucia. I have to go through the notes one by one to try to work each chord out. Its a bit hit and miss and I am getting disillusioned.
    Is any of this explained in the online videos ? Or are the chord finger positions shown by James?

I'm taking the online version and you get both standard notation and tab.
    That said, you won't be sorry if you learn standard notation. It's one of the things, I believe, that he's teaching in the course.
    Matt

I do admin stuff for The Ukulele Way...

James doesn't talk much about standard notation in the course. That's the one thing that you need to bring to the table yourself. Fortunately, there are many great free resources like: https://www.musictheory.net/lessons to help you out.

Keep in mind that with the video lessons you are also getting James' explanation of the piece and he talks you through much of what is in the notation. For what you get, my money is on the videos. Though the content is basically the same, James is a fantastic teacher and brings the music alive with his tips and insights that you don't really get in the books.
    Last edited by Brad Bordessa; 06-06-2017 at 08:07 AM.
    Brad Bordessa

Check out my new book: Right Hand Technique for 'Ukulele

Thanks for the feedback. And Brad, thanks for the personal reply. I suspected that the online content would be more detailed and will now take the plunge and get a laptop.
    Although my original post appeared negative I am thoroughly enjoying the learning process and going online can only enhance that.

Now, about that Ferrari service........

MacB,
    I don't know where you live, but...
    It's $9 Canadian/ month. My cost on my credit card was under $7 US. Well worth it.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie Guy View Post
    I do admin stuff for The Ukulele Way...

James doesn't talk much about standard notation in the course. That's the one thing that you need to bring to the table yourself. Fortunately, there are many great free resources like: https://www.musictheory.net/lessons to help you out.

Keep in mind that with the video lessons you are also getting James' explanation of the piece and he talks you through much of what is in the notation. For what you get, my money is on the videos. Though the content is basically the same, James is a fantastic teacher and brings the music alive with his tips and insights that you don't really get in the books.
    Thanks. I've just started and felt kind of frustrated not being able to sort out things and I'm only in booster uke. It would be nice if this could come in split screen so you can see the music along with the vid. Yes, my feeling already was that this course would be great if you already knew how to read music. That or I'm overthinking everything.

Thread Information