Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bindings alert

Default bindings alert

Due to old age, fumbling fingers, stress, nervous breakdowns,and general frustration, and phinxter twitching,and feeling pissed off.. I've decided that when i've completed these two Koa sopranos I'm currently working on..I will give up with bindings on my ukes all together .. From now on just plain "style "O" sopranos" No more bindings if I charged for hours of work? these two would be worth 5000 I've had a bad day.

What we all know...

Bindings only go two ways. Nice and easy or a total horror show

When you put them on ebay try putting the buy it now price at 5k... You never know......

I have four uke bodies waiting in the binding queue. My least favorite process.
    Rodney Paul Adams

When they go right though........

When I build Tenors and Concerts I have less problems...But! with my Sopranos with an ultra arched back and 1 inch waist rad it's not easy
    But sometimes they go right This one I made yonks ago.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 06-07-2017 at 11:07 AM.

I hear you Ken. Hopefully you'll start a trend that will be the acceptable norm amongst the uke buying public. This week I'm binding 4 ukes, bodies, headstocks and fretboards, all with ebony, two with arm bevels and two with paua abalone purling. None of which I look forward to.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

I feel your pain Ken. Sometimes I approach this step like a world war I soldier going over the top: There is a possibility we are all going to die here! My heart rate goes up. My breathing becomes short and quick. Obviously this is not how to approach wood working things. Best to take a deep breath and proceed. Everything is gonna be fine. Just fine. I'm not an expert binding cutter, but I have learned you don't have to be perfect. A really sharp file with a safe edge will even out those spots that are not deep enough because your sides were not perfectly square. Onward! Through the saw dust!

I create the binding channel by gluing the linings to the ribs with an overstep. You need to know the final shape of the rib and of course you still need to trim back the top/back to the lining. Given that I don't like using routers I find it both quicker and neater.

Thread Information