Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for strings pulling through bridge

Default Tips for strings pulling through bridge

Looking for advice. I have been trying to string a soprano Waterman as fifths tuning. The E string pulls through the bridge even if I tie the string in multiple knots. I'm not sure what I can do to keep it from pulling out, but I love the sound so would really like to figure this one out. Any advice?

PS, I am about to go interview for a job, and this is how I am distracting myself. Wish me luck!

Ben

is there room for a tiny bead? if so, you could 'thread' the bead and tie a knot and let the bead
    provide the 'anchor' to keep the string from being pulled through the bridge hole or slot.

just my 2 cents.

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

I think you may need two, or maybe three, loops before poking the tail through & pulling it tight.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    I think you may need two, or maybe three, loops before poking the tail through & pulling it tight.
    It is not a tie on bridge, it is a slotted bridge.

As Uncle Rod said try a small bead, they can be had a craft stores. The other solution is to drill a small hole through the bridge and body and make it a string through. This is sometimes done to old Martin sopranos because the slots have become opened do to tear out and this is the only solution
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    ...drill a small hole through the bridge and body and make it a string through.
    That's what I did with one uke, and I went to a craft store and bought small rings that worked perfectly.

I use a (very) short length of thicker string to tie the thin string around ... same effect as a bead but immediately available

So, start with a simple overhand knot at the end of the thin string. This is to prevent subsequent knots slipping.

Now make a slip-knot at the end of the thin string and tighten this loop around the thick string. A drop of saliva will help all the knots tighten evenly.

Trim the thick string to 1-2mm either side of the now tightened slip knot.

Fit thin string as usual ... works every time

There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    It is not a tie on bridge, it is a slotted bridge.
    I am fully aware of that fact - the idea is to build a bigger knot.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Tie a knot (maybe a double one) on the end of the string but not tight. Then poke the tail of the string through the knot(s), making a loop. Then pull it tight . . . and Voila!
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Several small knots do not always add up to one large knot. Here's a tutorial....someone posted one here once that showed how to tie a large knot for that purpose, perhaps someone will post it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-rBcbXqql0

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    I use a (very) short length of thicker string to tie the thin string around ... same effect as a bead but immediately available
    That's an awesome idea! Might look a little sloppy on a slot bridge, but might be the only option.

Also, would work good on pin bridges. My old Islander MC-4 came with little beads to tie the string around, but my AC-4 and Kanile'a didn't. Haven't really had any problems, but the bigger piece of string would give some peace of mind.

then there's the "Timms" knot or this...
    Ashley's stopper knot.jpg
    Last edited by UkerDanno; 06-08-2017 at 03:54 AM.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Thread Information