Kala UBass question

Nickie

Reaction score
We discovered an issue last night during open mic. We could not run the band's UBass through the mixer provided. The UBass has a pickup, but not a pre-amp. Is it possible/feasible to install a pre-amp, and which one would you use?

There are lots of pre-amps available, but not having a bass, I'm not sure if the one I own would be suitable, Behringer ADI21, cost about £30, so not too expensive.

The early Ubasses use a piezo pickup so it needs a preamp. My Chennell arch top bass is the same way. I actually prefer a piezo on a uke bass as it sounds more like a standup bass to me. I use a LR Baggs preamp.

Thanks guys, for your reply. We will try to apply some of these solutions and see what we can do that is cost effective.

If budget is a consideration, if anyone in the band has pedals (ideally if a bassist has bass pedals) pretty much any of them that have a gain control boost contains a preamp, and you *may* find that this is quite sufficient. I've used several bass pedals, mostly a SansAmp BassDriver or a Zoom B1Xon, to serve as preamp for the passive pickup in my UBass and both did the trick fine. These two are very different animals and cost something like $175 and $60, and both worked well enough for preamping the Kala.

I would think any bass preamp would work. I use the Eden WTDI. Works great with my U-Bass.

Thank you all. I shall forward this on to our bassist and let her make the decision!

Top Bottom