My momentary lapse of reason! Amp+pedals?

jnorris235

Reaction score
Love Dave Gilmour's music. I want to not just thumb and strum thru Comfortably Numb but play the lazy lead in some of those songs. That's the sound I'm after! Only had a uke for a year (now a Pono MTD-SP tenor), but love exploring. Maybe class myself as Intermediate.

So, maybe the iRig Acoustic Stage is a good pickup for an acoustic uke, and want a pedal or two to a) delay, b) sustain, c) loop. Apparently reverb and chorus often come with the amp.

The most I aspire, one day, to play in to is our local little pub - so small and light and SIMPLE i.e. Not cables everywhere!

Your guidance on an amp (my research shows a Roland Mobile Cube, or a Behringer Ultracoustic At108, as being good entry amps), I'd like to plug in the uke, and a Mike but also the pedal and/or backing track.
And then which pedals to get the basic effects - you're experience would be most welcome to help me in my momentary lapse of reason!!

Last edited:
Kustom Pa50 PowerWerks PW50 will give you the power and projection you need in your budget range:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-PA/PA50-Personal-PA-System-1304980282163.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CKvGpY-PvNQCFQiUfgodcd8E7A&kwid=productads-adid^172488555108-device^c-plaid^143950868442-sku^1304980282163@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Although I have recently become a card carrying member of Pedals Anonymous, I would offer the suggestion to get a good amp that is made for acoustic instruments not electric guitars. You are correct that an amp will have some form of chorus and reverb and maybe even more. If you want few or no cables and max portability I suggest you look at the Yamaha THR-5A (which models different microphones instead of different electric guitar amps) or the Roland AC30. Both very are nice acoustic battery powered amps. Also as you are looking at a clip on pickup you might want to consider some form of, EQ and or compression. DO you want to be a self contained unit or will you plug into the venue's mixing desk or both? Different solutions for different requirements.

Last edited:
Won't be plugging into anything, might never get good enough to gig anyway! So a self contained unit, hence simple. There are many amps and I really appreciate the suggestions. But easiest simplest way to have the effects I mentioned. Is it one box, several little pedals, not sure of the reality here! Will visit a shop one day, when I understand the jargon and you guys help me from asking daft questions!

Apparently he likes his Big Muffin and delay, but I don't want to COPY him, just have the long thick sounds to play a dreamy intro. Pedals or do all-in-one boxes exist for starters?

The Behringer Ultracoustic At108 is a pretty nice amp, but unfortunately it does not have built-in reverb. Its big sister, the ACX450, has both reverb and delay, though, and is in general more versatile (and powerful),while still being pretty small in size.

I suggest you look at the . . . Roland AC30

AC-33, not 30? (Unless there's a 30 in Australia?)

Anyway, the AC-33 has reverb and chorus, but no delay. The looper (40 seconds) is operated by hand, unless you buy operating pedals for it. I have this amp; it's great. The last I knew, it's $399. But if you don't want/need battery power, you might want something else, as you're paying for the battery power.

AC-33, not 30? (Unless there's a 30 in Australia?)

Anyway, the AC-33 has reverb and chorus, but no delay. The looper (40 seconds) is operated by hand, unless you buy operating pedals for it. I have this amp; it's great. The last I knew, it's $399. But if you don't want/need battery power, you might want something else, as you're paying for the battery power.

You're right, it is the AC33, not 30. And yes if you want battery power it costs more than many other equally powered and quality amps. But I required battery power. I had a Yamaha THR-5A (battery powered practice amp) but it was a little underpowered for where I used it. The great AER acoustic battery powered amp is almost $2000. So for a totally self contained unit (it does have a chorus, reverb and looper, foot switch triggered) it seemed the best solution in my opinion.

Top Bottom