Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best all solid concert ukes?

Default Best all solid concert ukes?

Ive been looking all over the internet for the best concert all solid concert uke and its so hard to choose, im looking at the Pono AC right now, pono has been getting a lot of good talk here on the forum but ive also heard thay their tenor ukes are spot on but as you go smaller the quality goes down, is that true? Also ive been looking at Ohana, pono and mainland ukes, but which one do you think provides the best all solid concert ukes? I was hoping for an all acacia or all mahogany uke, trying to steer away from cedar tops ( because of my own personal preference) anyways if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know! I really appreciate the help😊
    (Feel free to suggest any all solid concert uke, not justd from the 3 brands i listed above)

Yes to smaller Pono sizes being lackluster. And they have the fat neck.

Best concert: Kiwaya.

When I was in Hawaii, I decided to get an all-solid concert uke in the $300 to $500 price range. Having read reviews, I thought I was probably going to get a Pono. Once I tried out a bunch of ukes, I decided that I liked the Koaloha Opio better than the Pono, and Mele ukuleles even better still. I ended up getting a Mele mango concert. I totally agree with you about cedar tops. You might like the all mahogany Mele or the mahogany body with koa top. I would have got the mahogany koa combo, but I wanted something that looked and sounded quite different to the acacia tenor I already owned.

Whilst I like my Kala cedar topped bari, I also have 2 solid mahogany Ohana, both tenor scale, a concert body & a soprano body, they have a good sound/tone to them.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

What do you have against cedar? I find that they seem to open up the sound a bit and have them on my high end ukes?

I love the concert size and have played/owned a bunch of them. You didn't mention a budget. One of the best concert ukes I have played is a KoAloha. Those are around $1000 new. I agree with Coolkayaker that the Kiwaya is a great choice as well. LoPrinzi make excellent ukuleles and their model A mahogany concert is $550.
    Main players:

Soprano: WC Ukuleles

Concert: Collings UC2 | Collings UC2K | Talsma Style 3 | Ono Pineapple

Tenor: Collings UT2 | Collings UT3SMB

Baritone: LoPrinzi

Others to be re-homed: Kepasa Madera koa| Kiwaya KS-1 | 16" Koa Ono | Blackbird Farallon

Knowing your budget is critical. Best concert.........maybe a Kinnard series 3 at $2600.00 or an I'iwi at $3000.00.......you get the point.

There is actually no "best sounding" because sound preference is very personal. You stated liking acacia, Koaloha Opio is very highly regarded in the $500.00 range. Ohana make a good open sounding mahogany concert in the $300.00 range.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by valde002 View Post
    What do you have against cedar?
    The OP said it was just their personal preference.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I would agree that Kiwaya is worth a look.

The reality is that there are at least 50 ukuleles in this category, not including custom ukuleles. To get a recommendation, a lot of other questions remain: what kind of solid wood (or combination), price point, Hawaiian made or not, etc.

Then, of course, there is the super concert, with a tenor neck. The number of choices for those, however, is somewhat smaller.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thread Information