Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lusting for a tenor guitar...or low g monster?

Default Lusting for a tenor guitar...or low g monster?

I played a tenor guitar about a year ago and loved the sound, tuned to gCEA. I've been trying to get a good sounding low g uke since, but not entirely happy with what I've got.

The Pono UL line is too expensive, they look ideal otherwise. Another option is a tenor guitar, they can be had under 200$. But I'm worried the nut width is too small...I'm used to 1.5".

Any input?
    "A yawn is a desperate, silent scream for coffee."

Timms Style 0 Solid Mahogany Soprano, KoAloha KCM-00 Solid Koa Concert, CML Electric Concert Ukulele, Korala PUC-20-BK Solid Plastic Concert , CML Solid Western Red Cedar/Spalted Curly Maple Tenor

Maybe a baritone with a string change, solid mahogany.

(There is a set of low low G strings available, or just low G on a bari might do it for you.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    Maybe a baritone with a string change, solid mahogany.

(There is a set of low low G strings available, or just low G on a bari might do it for you.)
    I agree with Keith. I have had a few of my baritones tuned low G and the larger body and longer scale length give a nice full sound. Its a super-super tenor of sorts.

You have a few string options depending on the tension you like. If you don't mind a little higher tension (than a normal tenor) just throw on your favorite set of low G strings. If you want lower tension under finger (about the same as normal tenor) use a concert set with a wound low G, like a Fremont soloist or the low G string from a set of Oasis. The D'Addario NYL030 is a good inexpensive wound string you can use for low G. It is a classical guitar string.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 06-16-2017 at 01:29 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by cml View Post
    I played a tenor guitar about a year ago and loved the sound, tuned to gCEA. I've been trying to get a good sounding low g uke since, but not entirely happy with what I've got.

The Pono UL line is too expensive, they look ideal otherwise. Another option is a tenor guitar, they can be had under 200$. But I'm worried the nut width is too small...I'm used to 1.5".

Any input?
    Don't worry about the nut width. You just adapt to it. I go from tenor guitar clear down to mandolin (doesn't get tighter!) and you just adjust to the instrument.

As far as sound goes, the steel-string sound is indeed different than nylon.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Thanks for your input fellas. I like the baritone idea, I might try that. Maybe get one on the cheap to see if I like the sound, string tension etc. I have a concert set and a thomastik infeld string lying about that could work perhaps?

Timms Style 0 Solid Mahogany Soprano, KoAloha KCM-00 Solid Koa Concert, CML Electric Concert Ukulele, Korala PUC-20-BK Solid Plastic Concert , CML Solid Western Red Cedar/Spalted Curly Maple Tenor

I have a blueridge tenor guitar which I love, the BR-40TCE which has a pickup built in, I tuned like a baritone DGBE, a tenor guitar just doesn't sound right in gcea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulelerick9255 View Post
    I have a blueridge tenor guitar which I love, the BR-40TCE which has a pickup built in, I tuned like a baritone DGBE, a tenor guitar just doesn't sound right in gcea to me.
    That is the same tenor guitar I have, tuned the same as well. It is a fabulous instrument, it does have a narrow neck (1-1/4") but as SteveZ said you do adapt fairly quickly.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I bought a BlueRidge tenor guitar that was gorgeous and wonderful tone. I could not adjust to the banjo-style neck so retuned it with the generous return window. I'm admittedly a slow learner on the music bus, so perhaps as @DownUpDave and others have said you'll adapt more readily.

Maybe be another option would be a parkour guitar? Alvarez makes some really great values from what I've read.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I changed strings on my latest build, which I had as a high g before. It sounds great in low g, but still not the really really deep sound I want. This'll keep me happy for a few weeks while pondering what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cml View Post
    I changed strings on my latest build, which I had as a high g before. It sounds great in low g, but still not the really really deep sound I want. This'll keep me happy for a few weeks while pondering what to do.
    A couple thoughts......tune your tenor down to B or Bb it really does make it sound deeper with more resonance. For that sound you seem to really, really want there is no substitute for a baritone tuned DGBE.

Thread Information