Thread: Radiused Fret board??

Default Radiused Fret board??

It seems that my Pono's radiused fretboard makes finger rolls more difficult than the flat ones. Has anyone else had this experience?

what is finger roll... not sure what it is
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 50 View Post
    what is finger roll... not sure what it is
    One size smaller than a 2 finger roll?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    One size smaller than a 2 finger roll?

I was thinking that!

I find a radiused fretboard on a guitar easier to play ... maybe just because I've used one since the '70's ... as to whether I'd notice the benefit on a ukulele ... I've yet to find out for sure, but I suspect some chord shapes might be easier to play cleanly.

YMMV

There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

I'm not sure that's what it's called. I'm referring to the hi-speed up-down strum used to simulate a sustain. I think I first heard it called that by Jake Shimabukuro. It just seems to be easier to play without the changing deflection caused by the radiused saddle.

If the radius is tight, it could make it a little harder to play finger rolls across the strings because of the curved profile, hopefully your picking fingers will adapt over time and with some practice.
    Last edited by Camsuke; 06-18-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post
    If the radius is tight, it could make it a little harder to play finger rolls across the strings because of the curved profile, hopefully your picking fingers will adapt over time and with some practice.
    Campbell,
    I agree 100%. It will just take some practice to get used to the new profile.

Also, I thought the Pono radius was one of the least radiused uke fretboards. Can someone back me up here?

Quote Originally Posted by johnson430 View Post
    Campbell,
    I agree 100%. It will just take some practice to get used to the new profile.

Also, I thought the Pono radius was one of the least radiused uke fretboards. Can someone back me up here?
    You're quite right. It isn't much. It DOES seem like the curvature of the saddle is more than is called for on mine. But the intonation is spot-on and overall I have no complaints. I just wondered if others found fast strum easier minus the radius. I had a rare Enya concert cutaway that had much more. But for some reason rolls were very easy on that one.

Thread Information