Thread: Bruce Wei

Default Bruce Wei

A little birdie has intimated that Beruce is having to retire through ill health.. this is a sad shame.

Thanks for the update, Pete. Am very sorry to hear this. Bruce is an artist in the true sense of the word, and not only offered his own inlay designs but would work with luthiers for custom products as well. As an example, we got a batch of unbleached bone strap buttons from him. It was a pleasurable transaction, and it was obvious he and his folks enjoyed the creative design aspect of their work. Don't think we'll see another like him any time soon.
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

I'm very sorry to hear that, I've been one of his staunch promoters for the last 3-4 years. I have four custom and one ready made of his ukes, all of which I'm very happy with. He has some of the most unique ukes on his eBay store. I'm going to email him right now.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 06-30-2017 at 08:21 PM.

I wrote Bruce last night expressing my concern about this health and this is what he wrote back:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "Dear Michael,

Thank you so much for your concern !

My health is OK. The reason I'm considering to close my workshop because recently business is not bright as I hope. As you may know all the cost : Labor, wood, material are raising. The income is not enough to cover all the fees so I think if continue this work, under pressure for a long time may bad effect to my health.

However, I still have custom orders unfinished so the work is keep going until next 3 ~ 4 months. Within this period of time. If the business is better of course I'm happy to continue the work vice versa I'll close my workshop.

Thank you & Have a nice day !

Bruce

PS : Please help me explain on the forum which you've seen this post."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

With this, I'm going to do my best to promote Bruce Wei Arts and his instruments. Not only does he make ukes, he also makes guitars, violins, mandolins. All my BWA ukes are well made.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I wrote Bruce last night expressing my concern about this health and this is what he wrote back:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "Dear Michael,

Thank you so much for your concern !

My health is OK. The reason I'm considering to close my workshop because recently business is not bright as I hope. As you may know all the cost : Labor, wood, material are raising. The income is not enough to cover all the fees so I think if continue this work, under pressure for a long time may bad effect to my health.

However, I still have custom orders unfinished so the work is keep going until next 3 ~ 4 months. Within this period of time. If the business is better of course I'm happy to continue the work vice versa I'll close my workshop.

Thank you & Have a nice day !

Bruce

PS : Please help me explain on the forum which you've seen this post."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

With this, I'm going to do my best to promote Bruce Wei Arts and his instruments. Not only does he make ukes, he also makes guitars, violins, mandolins. All my BWA ukes are well made.
    always good news to hear that someone who is good health..wondering how/why Pete got the "Word" that Bruce was sick?
    hopefully he can keep building in the future
    Last edited by hawaii 50; 06-30-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

I got it from one of his clients who has his designs made by him.... hmmmm! Odd Something must have got lost in translation. Bruce does point to his health and future well being....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    I got it form one of his clients who has his designs made for him.... hmmmm! Odd

I guess everything you hear may not be true....the last thing I would want is for someone to say I am on my death bed or very sick if I am not.... like reading your obituary when you have not passed...next time you may want to check for yourself before putting on a public forum...but that is only me...
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Point taken - however Bruce does flag up the precariousness of his position that sent my friend into a spin. He was about to launch his line of interesting ukulele made by Bruce who he has worked with for over 10 years. Let's hope ~bruce is just reacting to the current political uncertainty rather than anything else.

Thread Information