new uke being delivered today, how long to wait to open it ?

banditcosmo

Reaction score
Yea I got a new (used) uke being delivered today (a Mya-Moe Baritone) and it's really hot here so I'm wondering how long I should wait to open the box to let it acclimate to the temp change.
I hate waiting but I don't want to damage it either.
Is a couple hours ok ?

Congratulations on the Mya Moe baritone, I have one and you will really enjoy it. Take the case out of the box, let it sit for an hour and you will be ok to open it. Going from high humidity to very low humidity or freezing to hot temps is more damaging than your situation

Congratulations on the Mya Moe baritone, I have one and you will really enjoy it. Take the case out of the box, let it sit for an hour and you will be ok to open it. Going from high humidity to very low humidity or freezing to hot temps is more damaging than your situation

Please listen to downupdave! I learned my hard lesson for being impatient! From Hawaii to Canada in the middle of winter! A real test to our sanity!

I know that Mass Street Music and Elderly wait 24 hours before opening anything when the weather is extreme.

My 2nd uke was delivered to me during an extreme cold snap in Minnesota. During the whole week the HIGH temperatures of the day were below zero. The relative humidity was in the teens if even that. I was very stressed out during the whole time it was in transit. When I received it I waited a full 24 hours before opening it.

I always wonder how extreme the difference and how long the exposure has to be to cause problems? After all, if a uke can survive going from a warm and humid island, to the cold and dry of airplane cargo, it can probably handle local sorting and delivery.

There have been a lot of discussion about this on guitar forums. It really centers around extremes... going from a freezing environment to a warm room. Keep in mind that that uke has been sent through a processing center and then bouncing around in a delivery truck. If it is extreme, and unsure wait an hour as Dave said. But think about the times you take a uke to play with a group, do you wait to open the case? There are probably times when you should, but usually not.

John

It's being delivered by USPS and from what I hear those mail trucks can get really hot. Luckily it not too hot right now but it will be later today. It's going to be hard to just let it sit there in the box for a hour or two.

I always wait 24 hours and have the uke in the room I will be playing it upon opening the box.

If it is double boxed, I might even wait another hour or two before opening the inner box.

I waited about an hour and a half all is good. Thanks everyone :)
Awesome uke !

20170701_175633.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170701_175644.jpg
    20170701_175644.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 7
Hmm. Still seems risky to have it out of the box. Have you considered giving it to me?

You know... for safety.

Congratulations on a safe arrival of your new baby! I love the top. Do you have anymore pics, or are you too busy playing it?

Wow, that is one stunning spruce top! Bet you are totally in love with it. Enjoy!

Top Bottom