Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What tuner do you use?

I like the Dario mini tuner and the iPhone ukulele toolkit.

But after a lifetime of music I rune the first string then the rest to it by ear then play a few chords

I Developed this technique because I was running a volunteer group I call "Peace love and ukulele - Healing Through Music"

And had to learn to tune a dozen watermans within a couple of minutes. Besides it impresses the students and makes them motivated.
    YouTube channel
    Personal blog

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
    The Journey is the reward...

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    ...Question to those who suggested concert strings for low tension -- I'm curious as to why concert strings are low tension if put on a tenor? It is a puzzlement.
    See my signature, links and text -

But, in short, thinner strings have lower linear density, and thus have lower tension at the same scale length as thicker strings (which have higher linear density)....

edited to add - this is USUALLY when comparing strings of the same material composition, nylon vs. nylon and fluoro vs. fluoro, but an exception also for nylon vs. fluoro since nylon nearly always has lower linear density than fluoro, and thus nylon strings are nearly always thicker than fluoro...
    Last edited by Booli; 08-04-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Dean Beaver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Olarte View Post
    I like the Dario mini tuner and the iPhone ukulele toolkit.

But after a lifetime of music I rune the first string then the rest to it by ear then play a few chords

I Developed this technique because I was running a volunteer group I call "Peace love and ukulele - Healing Through Music"

And had to learn to tune a dozen watermans within a couple of minutes. Besides it impresses the students and makes them motivated.
    Yeh I'm pretty impressed when I see people playing or tuning by ear on the spot, I don't have a great ear for it but I think it gets better to various extent as you go.
    Interesting is that relationship between the ear and the frequency of the note/s.
    Where our ideas and perspectives may vary, and even tuners may vary in accuracy, the relationship between the note/s and ear is a trustworthy and dependable method of discernment which is in common, so it's a good way to acquire relative tuning outcome in instruments, and cultivate an ear.
    Just something I've paid a bit more attention in recent last years, and had opportunities to learn, something I never really comprehended at an earlier stage, though always learning as it goes ...

Happy Ukeing ...

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    See my signature, links and text -

But, in short, thinner strings have lower linear density, and thus have lower tension at the same scale length as thicker strings (which have higher linear density)....

edited to add - this is USUALLY when comparing strings of the same material composition, nylon vs. nylon and fluoro vs. fluoro, but an exception also for nylon vs. fluoro since nylon nearly always has lower linear density than fluoro, and thus nylon strings are nearly always thicker than fluoro...
    You've complicated that last bit somewhat Booli. Fluorocarbon polymer has a higher density than nylon polymer so fluorocarbon strings can be thinner to achieve the same pitch at the same scale length. Nylon compositions such as nylgut will have slightly different densities than pure nylon because of the fillers added to achieve particular acoustic properties but the differences are quite small so you probably wouldn't notice difference in tension between a pure nylon string and one made from a nylon composition.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

ahoy

Snark tuner/metronome
    have three of them

yours truly
    mac

I have a few Snarks and they are OK, but I don't like it that they don't fold flat and are easy to break the ears of the socket. I have an Intellituner that does fold flat , has a stronger joint and prefer it. It is my oldest tuner and will probably outlast the newer Snarks. more expensive , but will last a lot longer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Intelli-IMT50.../dp/B002Q0WSO8
    Last edited by strumsilly; 08-06-2017 at 03:44 AM.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

I use Electric Tuna, made by Fishman..... but seriously, the Crescendo Zen Strobe tuner is super accuate & inexpensive. I bought mine from Amazon.

Still this: https://uke-tuner.com/
    It does its job although it takes some time.
    I want to get a tuner, because I don't always have internet obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I hear ya. When I lead the jam sessions, if I hear an outta tune uke, I'll stop, try to find it, and before the next song, help them tune it. Same in the beginner workshops. If people refuse to tune in, I'm not sure what I'd do, probably confiscate the damn uke, Booli. Playin out of tune just stinks for the whole room.
    Hi Nickie,

When I read this post I immediately thought of the movie "Whiplash" and it definitely made me laugh. Sometimes I feel like I spend more time tuning than playing. It drives me crazy when I see a video posted and the instruments out of tune.

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the PolyTune Clip. They make it in black now in addition to white. They are more expensive than most mentioned here but I find it better than the less expensive options. I just ordered a Peterson Stroboclip SC-1 as well to try. PolyTune's are about $50 online and the Peterson is $80. If you get Guitar Center or others coupons you can usually save 15% on either of these and get free shipping.

Tuning on the 12th fret using overtones can be helpful as well.

Thread Information