What tuner do you use?

JUST CHECKED A "c" tuning fork I had lying around against 2 electronic tuners, a Snark and a Intelli, and both had the tuning fork -50 flat. I need to tune my tuner.
Since I posted to the thread previously I have abandoned electronic tuners and mobile apps and have chosen a more organic approach and now I use my freaking ears!!!!

...done by matching the A string with an A-440hz tuning fork and then tune unisons and octaves and harmonics across the fretboard...works great now for a few months or so...

if in a noisy room, that's what the spare dirty sock in my case is for, i.e. to silence the person or thing making noise so I can hear and tune the instrument.

Digital tuners are so hipster now.

j/k LOL

Last edited:
I found something interesting. My Fender FT-004 tuner picks up the "A" string on my soprano but not on my Tenor. My Snark SN6 is accurate on the tenor but not as accurate on the soprano. Weird.

I do really like my TC Electronic UniTune clip. It gives me the most precise tuning and also there is no needle need to follow, just colors in LEDs. When its all green uke is on pitch, but with having a slightly red/green and somewhat below is good sometimes because our ukes are not all so optimally nut fixed. It is of course chromatic, but does not give any octave numbers.

Funny thing is that it also has some external mic. Not really suitable to use if not clipped on but responds. And it takes care I think, maybe, also not only the headstock vibrations, bit listens also the acoustic sound. I have had no troubles tuning in a noisy situation at all. It just works and gives me the fastest tuning I have ever experienced.

It is a bit costly, 35 euro locally for me. Also has a strobe mode, which is not needed for extra accuracy with uke in my opinion. And cause this is already expensive, the polytune model one that costs maybe 50 euros, try stay avoid if you can find the unitune. I don't think it offers any advantage to ukulele players, using that polytone mode.

I understand Booli made a joke lol. We so much "love" some player in the group needing to take a tuning fork.

EDIT:
I also have that ability, which is good to have, but my tuning fork ones result usually 5-10 cents off from pitch :)

Last edited:
After reading the discussion yesterday, I downloaded the Airyware Tuner APP - it seems to be really precise, easy to use, and you can use it to tune your instrument either "just" or any one of a number of "well tempered" ways...

My first ukulele came with a house brand tuner which I liked quite well. I wanted something similar when I bought my baritone at the local music store. They offered me a Snark, but found it just too ugly and jarring to clamp on my beautiful new ukulele. So I looked under the counter and found a Boss TU-01. It has chromatic, guitar, bass and ukulele modes and works very well. It has a more subtle, tailored rectangular design and folds down out of the way fairly well when not in use. I like the display better than the D'Addarios. I can't speak about the precision, but it meets my needs.

My first ukulele came with a house brand tuner which I liked quite well. I wanted something similar when I bought my baritone at the local music store. They offered me a Snark, but found it just too ugly and jarring to clamp on my beautiful new ukulele. So I looked under the counter and found a Boss TU-01. It has chromatic, guitar, bass and ukulele modes and works very well. It has a more subtle, tailored rectangular design and folds down out of the way fairly well when not in use. I like the display better than the D'Addarios. I can't speak about the precision, but it meets my needs.

I liked too that tuner with some reserves. It is small and lightweight, though i never keep a clip on tuner fixed to my uke, just for tuning. The downside was that the battery holder sucks and also when the battery runs down the display gets dimmer. Mine eventually died after less than a year after maybe 2 battery changes. Not sure what it was, but I used it a lot, never dropping though or any.

The one I have now that i posted 2 ones above does not show any cents off or even octave range, but it is an accurate one. The Boss TU-01 sometimes showed wrong notes higher up the neck. I loved though in my ukulele group to show the teacher after she just told and showed her new tuner Boss TU-10, that I have this from Boss that is half the size hehe.

Musicians have trained ears, and an online ukelele tuner would be an option too.
Not so long ago I developed this free online tuner.

http://ukesong.com/online-ukulele-tuner/

It lets you select from 6 different tunings.
There is a video version too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaWbN8Pji9S9GCfLFov7G-w

I was wondering ... if you guys find it useful?
If you suggest an alternate tuning which is not currently supported, I could add it in future.
Btw, what do you think about including tuning options for left-handed ukulele players?

Top Bottom