Mya-Moe anyone??

One more on the side of get it if you can. My Mya-Moe is my favorite practice ukulele. The playability is incredible, the sound beautiful. Coming from the guitar world, I'm a fan of the radiused neck. Mine is a chocolate heart Myrtle tenor, and it's in my hands for at least an hour or so each day. I have a Kanilea Koa that sounds more 'hawaiian' and a Cordoba 35TS strung low G that is louder and punchier with a spruce top, but whenever I reach out just to play, noodle, exercise or play-along, I seem to grab for the Mya-Moe (or Pono MGCD Concert) more than anything else. Out of 15 ukuleles if I had to get rid of most, I'd keep the Mya-Moe, the Kanilea, Black Bear Soprano, and 50's Kamaka.

The Mya-Moe put an end to my UAS. (Unless someday I can afford a Moore Bettah with the full inlay.)

I'm looking forward to meeting Aaron at TBUG this year and letting him know just how much I love his craftsmanship.

Since you have a Mya-Moe and Kanile'a, and so do I, does your MM have a higher action than your Kanile'a uke? My MM is at 2.5mm on the 12th fret and I was thinking of lowering it to match my K, but I'm afraid to cause any buzzing since it was originally setup by Gordon and Char. I figure they would know their own ukes the best.

Since you have a Mya-Moe and Kanile'a, and so do I, does your MM have a higher action than your Kanile'a uke? My MM is at 2.5mm on the 12th fret and I was thinking of lowering it to match my K, but I'm afraid to cause any buzzing since it was originally setup by Gordon and Char. I figure they would know their own ukes the best.

I wonder if the difference in your case is that the Mya-Moe is a tenor and the Kanile'a is a concert? Both of mine are tenors. The Mya-Moe has the the thinner Fluorocarbon strings and the Kanile'a has the thicker Aquila Corde strings and is Low-G. On mine the difference on the 12th fret is negligible. At the nut the Mya-moe is a little less than .2mm higher, but to be fair I can't believe how low the Kanile'a is without any buzz. And of course the Mya-Moe has that radiused fretboard vs the Kanile'a. I'm not sure how much difference that makes, but for me it provides a little more comfort after extended playing.

My Kanile'a was setup by HMS. The Mya-Moe, you know.

Somewhat ironically, someone “favorited” my comment from years ago this evening; and on the same day, I just bought a 2014 Myrtle Mya-Moe Concert ukulele that will probably arrive this weekend or next week in time for Christmas.

I ended my previous post by mentioning that I would plot the demise of a Mya-Mow owner to buy theirs someday. I don’t think anyone suffered in this sale. I met their asking price without any negotiating, and they intially didn’t want to ship and sell locally, but no one bought local so they contacted me back.

Meanwhile, I have sold a lot of my ukuleles (with more to go) as I settle on the ukuleles I really want to keep on this journey.

So I am looking forward to playing my new-to-me Mya-Moe very soon!

Somewhat ironically, someone “favorited” my comment from years ago this evening; and on the same day, I just bought a 2014 Myrtle Mya-Moe Concert ukulele that will probably arrive this weekend or next week in time for Christmas.

I ended my previous post by mentioning that I would plot the demise of a Mya-Mow owner to buy theirs someday. I don’t think anyone suffered in this sale. I met their asking price without any negotiating, and they intially didn’t want to ship and sell locally, but no one bought local so they contacted me back.

Meanwhile, I have sold a lot of my ukuleles (with more to go) as I settle on the ukuleles I really want to keep on this journey.

So I am looking forward to playing my new-to-me Mya-Moe very soon!
Congrats on the new (old) Mya-Moe! That's bound to be an absolute belter. Can't wait for a review. ;)

Mya-Moe is one of those brands of uke that I often drool at but will probably never own. Rarer than hen's teeth in Europe. I think it was last year when I had a chance to get a koa Mya-Moe concert from a UK based fella that was selling it here on UU but I decided against it as I already had a few koa concerts. And I would probably prefer a Mya-Moe made from the woods they more typically use like myrtle or walnut. No doubt that myrtle one will be fabulous. I'll just have to stick with the local custom made ukes. :D

Mya-Moe is one of those brands of uke that I often drool at but will probably never own. Rarer than hen's teeth in Europe. I think it was last year when I had a chance to get a koa Mya-Moe concert from a UK based fella that was selling it here on UU but I decided against it as I already had a few koa concerts. And I would probably prefer a Mya-Moe made from the woods they more typically use like myrtle or walnut. No doubt that myrtle one will be fabulous. I'll just have to stick with the local custom made ukes. :D
That UK based fella still has the koa Mya-Moe concert, still for sale if anyone is interested.

That UK based fella still has the koa Mya-Moe concert, still for sale if anyone is interested.
I had a thought it might still be. :D Really surprised it hasn't sold yet...

I believe selling to the EU might be trickier now after brexit since one would have to pay import costs...

Have an opportunity to buy an incredible soon-to-be-built Mya-Moe.

Or something equivalent.

So looking for feedback. On your Mya-Moe experience. Or recommended options. Because I have never bought an instrument before without first playing it. But I must decide very soon.

Love Char and Gordon's 'energy'. And their reputation and pieces are remarkable.

So what say yee?? All insights greatly appreciated because I must decide very soon.

Thanks!

VeePo

I have a couple made by Char and Gordon - no regrets. Both of mine are resonators, one of them owned by Lil' Rev. Great construction and great sound.

Top Bottom