Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mya-Moe anyone??

Default Mya-Moe anyone??

Have an opportunity to buy an incredible soon-to-be-built Mya-Moe.

Or something equivalent.

So looking for feedback. On your Mya-Moe experience. Or recommended options. Because I have never bought an instrument before without first playing it. But I must decide very soon.

Love Char and Gordon's 'energy'. And their reputation and pieces are remarkable.

So what say yee?? All insights greatly appreciated because I must decide very soon.

Thanks!

VeePo

My experience is to look at others that have them and to hope that someday I can buy theirs from their estate after my kids are grown up and out of the house and I have more disposable income again.

With all sincerity, I think Mya-Moe has the longest list of performing artists (perhaps more than Kamaka), and everyone I know that has one says, "I'll get rid of this when they rip it out of my cold, dead hands." (Which is why I said "from their estate") in the first line.

As with all ukulele brands...custom or not...there have been some disappointed customers (Gordon talked about this in one of his videos), but most owners LOVE them.

Occasionally one will go on sale here at UU, and they are never around for long.

If you have the funds available, I would go for it, and if you don't love it, I can't believe that Mya-Moe wouldn't instantly take it back as they could immediately sell it to someone else--or you could sell it to someone else, too.

Knowing that the production ends relatively soon (although I believe that Aaron Keim will be picking custom work up with a new brand at that point...correct me if I am wrong, which I may be), the reputation of the instrument, and knowing people who love theirs...this is almost a sure thing in life. There are very few of those things.

Meanwhile...I need to get back to work raising my children and getting them out of the house so that I can then plot the demise of Mya-Moe owners whose instruments need adopting...

My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

I got my tenor beansprout banjolele last September. Beautiful instrument from beautiful people. I highly recommend Mya-Moe!

They have a good reputation. Only suggestion is to look up the wood types and sound samples that will be used on th ukulele you plan on getting.

John

Yes, I can't think of anything negative to say about them, or the instrument. I took delivery of a custom tenor last November, and I would say that it is my favourite and most playable instrument. It is very much hand made, so bear that in mind if comparing to say an immaculately executed Collings? I have one of those too, and it is also a fabulous instrument; but they are very different.

Don't expect it to be louder than an off the peg cheaper uke, just because it's a high end instrument. The sound is more complex and rich in my opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate personally. What have/are you thinking of spec'ing?

Like you (by the sounds of it) I became a little overwhelmed by all the choices of wood, and listened to pretty much all of their demo videos. In the end I went for Koa, as I knew it would cover all sound spectrums, and felt that I couldn't go wrong with Koa. I feel as though I made the right decision.

One point: the radius fret board, is quite pronounced; more so than the Collings even. So, that could be something you may need to consider if that being something you're not used to. Personally, I'd prefer a little less radius in order to get some of those harder to get bar-chords cleanly, but I feel I'll get there with practice.
    Last edited by Pete F; 07-20-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Pete F above has given a VERY good over all description of Mya Moe characteristics. I owned a tenor for about one year which I sold to a friend because he absolutely loved it. I presently own a baritone with a spruce top and cocobolo back and sides.

The neck profile is shallow with a flat spot on the bottom. To be honest I do not care for this, it is quite different than most other ukes I own. But this is a personal preference. I am a huge radius fretboard fan but the Mya Moe does seem different. Although they state a 12" radius, same as Collings which I owned as well it seems to fall away more at the edges.

The sound on both was very nice with the tenor having good volume, mine was all sycamore. My baritone is a canon, warm, loud and very resonant. They are very light and well balanced which I really liked. The minimal Tru Oil finish gives a very natural organic look that I enjoy. I think their overall workmanship is excellent and they really care about what they do. I recently purchased this baritone, it was used and I snapped it up as soon as it was posted here so that kinda says it all.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 07-20-2017 at 02:19 AM.

I think their tag line is "serious instruments for serious musicians". They are very well crafted and play beautifully. Also Gordon and Char provide great customer service. Given the opportunity I'd buy another.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

Just from reading other peoples opinions of them, no one seems to want to give them back.

So, if you are happy with the idea, & after all it's your money, I'd say go ahead & get it.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

"serious instruments for serious fun" and having just this moment put said instrument down - sums it up nicely!

I plan to get another before they wind things up fully

I am sure that you can't go wrong. Many people love them. Years ago I bought a soprano from them which I sold shortly after. I did not love it, but it may have been mostly that it did not match what I was looking for in sound or feel. The hard part in choosing a custom instrument is that you cannot play it ahead of time. There are a number of great luthiers out there, many not as high profile, who make terrific instruments so there are lots of possibilities if you choose to go in another direction.

Thread Information