Thread: Blackbird Ekoa long neck sop, yet un-named?

Default Blackbird Ekoa long neck sop, yet un-named?

I spent an enjoyable morning reading all about and listening to the Clara and Farallon. They are astonishing instruments in concept and execution.
    I was surprised, however, to find no single thread - or folks in general - chomping at the bit for a soprano version.

Because of its inherent high and low humidity resistant qualities and its size, I've dragged my Flea with me on most of my vacations, from a sailboat in the steamy Caribbean to very dry mountaintops in Montana to the south of France.

The Flea is a fine uke, but I relish the idea of bringing with me to these beautiful destinations a climate resistant and ultra-portable instrument whose sound makes me shiver from a simple strum (like others I have at home).
    A Blackbird super soprano in Ekoa might be about perfect...
    Last edited by ukeinfused; 07-21-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype soprano, Peter Howlett #153
    Weymann soprano, 1918
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG Concert
    Kala Elite 1MHG Tenor SN

They'd have to produce a tenor necked normal shaped concert to interest me........but then it would cost too much for my wallet.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

If you go to the Blackbird website you can see how they are made. They start out with a very expensive precision machined solid steel mould. The ekoa cloth is then laid up like fiberglass in the mould and resin applied. Unlike wood they can't just cut to any size and glue the pieces together. The moulds are extremely expensive and they have to weigh demand against cost.

I have a Farallon that I love and asked Joe from Blackbird if they would ever build a baritone, many members said they would buy one. He said maybe in a few years but right now they were just trying to maintain their present production schedule

We can always ask and dream. I would love a super concert and a baritone......I'd take a super soprano if they made one.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    If you go to the Blackbird website you can see how they are made. They start out with a very expensive precision machined solid steel mould.
    Right-o. I learned this morning that these are made with back, neck, and headstock in one piece, so you can't just stick a concert neck on a sop body. And I know from my spouse's business that tooling is terribly expensive.
    Still, a gal's gotta dream.
    Last edited by ukeinfused; 07-21-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    Tracie

Weymann soprano, 1918
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG Concert
    Kala Elite 1MHG Tenor SN

I wonder if Blackbird will eventually come up with a cheaper, "lesser" line made in Asia like the other big brands. (That, of course, would be a mixed blessing in our import economy...)
    If they don't, though, some one else may do it...?
    Tracie

Weymann soprano, 1918
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG Concert
    Kala Elite 1MHG Tenor SN

Anyone who frequents the Acoustic Guitar forum, Carbon Fiber Discussion, knows that right now Joe (Blackbird owner) seems pretty darn busy filling orders for his new eKoa guitar called the Savoy. I am super impressed by their ability and willingness to to customize their instruments, but I doubt that we'll see new uke sizes anytime soon. I also rather doubt they would risk market share by coming up with their own "Epiphone" line of composite instruments, especially not in eKoa.

But I do think it's likely that someone else may take up the challenge of making composite ukes - I least I hope so. The obvious choice would be Emerald in Ireland, who already makes a uke harp custom instrument. But so far the owner Alistair doesn't seem inclined to make a basic uke (though I have offered to purchase the first carbon fiber one he makes).

I would buy a Blackbird Soprano. I'm finding the Farallon Tenor a little big for my smallish hands.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

I was among the ones who were asking for a Blackbird Baritone. But a Soprano would be neat as well. I might just take one od each...

Thread Information