Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fuller sound for fingerpicking

Default fuller sound for fingerpicking

Hey folks,

I'm super new to the uke but I absolutely love it. I can't sing worth a lick so I've been focusing most of my time on fingerpicking. PDF minstrel has been a great help, obviously.

But many of the songs tabbed on there have you playing just one string at a time. I want a bit of a fuller sound when I'm plucking along.

Do y'all have any tips on formulating/modifying already-existing tabs to get a fuller sound?

Thank you!

P.S. I am sort of trying to teach myself to read music (as opposed to just tabs), but it's been slow going.

You might want to look into a few styles of playing, that are a more advanced and different types of fingerstyle called:

a) chord-melody
    b) clawhammer
    c) cherry-picking

and look into the tutorials offered by Aaron Keim (The Quiet American) as well as Li'l Rev, as well as Samantha Muir.

Links:
    http://quietamericanmusic.com/
    https://www.lilrev.com/
    http://www.samanthamuir.com/
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

Look for a you tube tutorial on Cotten picking (Elizabeth Cotton that is)

So.. If I think I understand you.. you're not trying to make a single string plucked sound fuller, but to build chord/harmony, and still hear the voice/melody note?

See if you can used a classical guitar method called the "rest stroke". When fingerpicking a note, play the string so that when you are finished with the stroke, the pad of your finger is resting on the next string. In other words, if you are playing the third string, at the end of the stroke, your finger pad should be resting on the fourth string. Alternate fingers in a walking pattern, with rest stroke, and you will get better speed and volume. When playing the fourth string, there is no place to rest, but use the same angle and you will get the proper effect. I am sure YouTube should have videos on this method.

–Lori

If you're not talking about the tone, but to make the sound fuller with melody/harmony, james hill's tutorial is pretty good.

and part 2

And don't forget James Hill "Ukulele Way" its all about playing melody in front of chords.

I noticed that if you play the correct chords the melody notes will be in the chords, so form the chords and then pick out the notes from them, then you can strum the chord and pick the notes in alternating way, maybe. That's the way I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JackLuis View Post
    I noticed that if you play the correct chords the melody notes will be in the chords, so form the chords and then pick out the notes from them, then you can strum the chord and pick the notes in alternating way, maybe. That's the way I think of it.
    oh wow. DUH. now i feel dumb...i should have thought of that. thank you so much!!! as a noob, simple, to the point advice like that is super helpful.

Thread Information