Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for baritone strings?

Default Recommendations for baritone strings?

Hi.

I've recently taken up the baritone and I *love* it. As a failed guitar player (short, stubby fingers that could never reach the spreads with my left hand) and a pretty decent standard uke player, baritone seems like a really cool compromise.

I love Aquila strings and have them all on my ukes, but the ones they make for baritone, the two wound strings seems to be really poor quality. I've already had to replace them several times on both my and my kids' ukes (and they are not rough players). From a bit of poking around online, it seems I'm not alone in my experience.

Anybody have a better suggestion for baritone, like maybe the D'Addarios? I have heard mixed things about them. Or others?

And while I'm asking, anybody have a set they like for tenor with a Low G?

Thanks. Glad to have found this group!
    Boston

I have Southcoast Heavy Mediums on my Kinnard baritone. I'm typically tuning linear G or linear A and they've been quite good.

I put the Aquila Carbonblacks on one of my tenors recently (tuned re-entrant Bb) and like them a lot. A whole lot. When I ordered them, I also ordered a baritone set (linear) and will try those next on the baritone.

Personally, I do not like D'Addarios. I find them too hard and generally higher tension than I like. Of course, personal preference matters hugely in which strings work best for somebody.

Good luck!
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Worth Browns work nice on my Bari, for Linear G. For Re-entrant G the Worth Brown FAT Tenors are great and the same size but for the High D string (0.316 vs 03.58"). I've only tried the Browns and the Aquila's which failed shortly after I got my Uke.

I'll second Ukulele Eddie on the Southcoast heavy mediums, on my Kanilea spruce top baritone and my Pono chambered body electric baritone.

Living Waters all around.
    Baritone strings are available in linear and re-entrant.
    Keep Strummin'

Another vote for Living Water flourocarbon strings, no wounds, have them on all my good ukes, cedar topped Kala bari & solid mahogany Ohana tenor scaled long necks (& my RISA's).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I prefer wound strings for the D and G and the Martin M630 is a good inexpensive baritone set. The D'Addario Titanium baritone set is not bad, I like their wounds, trebles are thicker and warmer than the Martins. South Coast do make a primo string, Light Heavy gauge (LHL-WB) are best suited for medium tension in DGBE tuning.

For a tenor low G set with a wound G the Oasis warm are a great string set, double length package, two sets for the price of one.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    For bari linear G tuning, I use polished flatwound guitar A and D strings for the bari 4th and 3rd, specifically Thomastik-Infeld CF35 and CF30 singles.

If you wish to avoid wound strings, my next best recommendation is the Aquila red singles (I believe the red sets come with wound strings instead). I recommend against any unwound fluorocarbon or nylon string for the low D—too dull, thuddy and flabby.

For reentrant G tuning ("high D") I've found the Living Water set to be good.
    +1 I'm with ubu on the TF stings, paired with the trebles from Worth Brown (BB) for linear, and the LW strings for re-entrant.
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

If you want to go a wound set, my honest experience is that every single set disintegrates quickly,
    at the low D and G (the two bass strings).
    No doubt though, to me, that the southcoast sets are the most sturdy of what is available.
    As a compromise - and it is a compromise - (because you certainly lose volume, tone, depth and resonance)
    is the worth brown unwound or living water sets.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain goat View Post
    ...is the worth brown unwound or living water sets.
    they are all fluoro, unwound, see:

http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

and

http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/living-water-strings/
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

Thread Information