The uke I miss the most

NewKid

Reaction score
My Ukiyo Vita Ukulele made by Marc Schoenberger is the uke I miss the most. It is now owned by a Dusty Strings employee in Seattle who bought it before the general public had a chance. A smart man!

This Vita uke was between a soprano and concert size and had the seal-shaped sound holes and was super light. The sound was big and it was a great strummer.

I've let a lot of great ukes go including: Mya-Moe and Kinnard baritones, Compass Rose and Collings tenors, A Pohaku Concert 10, and Kamaka, vintage Martin, and Timms sopranos. All great instruments but I don't miss them.

That Ukiyo was weird and fun. It was easy to play and sounded great. Maybe I'll own one again some day.

This should be a good thread........regrets and all. Although I am a tenor and baritone player the uke I miss the most is a Koaloha KCM-00 concert . It had a dark burgundy colored koa that was so beautiful and unique and a sound to match. Fortunately I sold it to a friend who lives close by. I get to play it often and when I do I give my forehead a palm hit......doh!!!

That Ukiyo sounds worthy of being missed!

I may be the only one to say this, but - zero regrets here. I think I've sold 2 Koalohas, 3 or 4 Kamakas, a Dasilva, a Kiwaya thinline pineapple, and an oddball vintage 'teens or 'twenties Columbia. I learned lessons from all of them and hope that they are all being enjoyed by their current owners.

I have sold many, but I still kick myself for selling my William King long scale tenor. :( Besides that one, a Collings UT-1, a Kinnard tenor, and a Tom Guy cigar box uke.

for me there are 2 stand outs (amongst too many).

1. a collings uc2 - spruce top with gold sunburst finish, mahogany back and sides.
so loud and warm and the playability was crazy.
it's the best collings I ever played and I've played me some

2. the tom guy "owl" tenor.
all maple. incredible figure...yeah, the back looks just like a flying owl.
sold it to another active member here, TCK (sorry for outing you dave :) ).
if he sees this thread I hope he'll post a pic.
I tried to buy it back off him a couple of times.
not a chance, eh :p

oh, one other.
this one. thankfully i'm back in the queue and having an identical one built for the new year.
the sycamore mm soprano is maybe the smoothest playing
and sweetest tone of any soprano I've ever played.

I've owned several ukes that have since moved on to other people. I 've had instruments that ranged from a concert size Oscar Schmidt to a Moore Bettah Tenor. I've also had a number of resonator ukuleles that sounded killer. I miss them all at times.
The instrument that I miss the most right now is a 1929 National pear shape resonator tenor guitar.
The uke that gets the most play right now is a Fluke tenor.
The instruments that I am playing the most right now are a 1927 Martin 5-17T tenor guitar and an Estey portable pump organ.

I can think of at least a few that sold their Ukiyo Vitas, only to be followed up by a WTB ad only a few short months later. One uker did that evolution at least three times!

I'm currently in the process of selling most of my ukes.

NewKid, if I decide to sell my Ukiyo Vita, I'll notify you first. BTW...mine is a twin of your former uke sharing consecutive serial numbers. Same woods.

Wm.

No regrets yet either. Most of the sold ukes had been upgraded prior to sale. Maybe I miss the banjo uke sometimes but I was never able to do what I wanted with it (linear tuning) so was happy to trade for the iMua. I'm pretty much out of space for ukes though so there may some hard tradeoffs in the future.

I've bought many, sold some, traded several, and gave some away to friends and family. I don't really miss or regret the ones I have passed on to others as they all went to wonderful people and I still have a nice little collection.
I do kinda wish I still had the Scott Wise tenor that I got from Hodge...it was just a wonderful low G Uke that loved to be tuned down a step or two where it sounded best. If I played in that style it woulda been a keeper. Sold to another forum member...I forget who.
Also a Mahalo Smiley Face I gave away. A one in a million $35 cheapo that had perfect setup, intonation, and playability as well as killer sound!

Btw Newkid I still have the Pohaku Concert 10 I got from you awhile back. It's on my keeper list.

And Jon (aka Mountaingoat aka hippydribble aka Eugene)...in one of my trades I acquired your old Thomas Rodriquez hickory soprano made from a 100 year old piano, that I fell in love with in one of your old Eugene videos...which are now sadly unavailable.

I'm getting ready to sell a few so I may be adding to this thread soon...stay tuned!

Cheers all!

Glenn
C
E
A

I can think of at least a few that sold their Ukiyo Vitas, only to be followed up by a WTB ad only a few short months later. One uker did that evolution at least three times!

I'm currently in the process of selling most of my ukes.

NewKid, if I decide to sell my Ukiyo Vita, I'll notify you first. BTW...mine is a twin of your former uke sharing consecutive serial numbers. Same woods.

Wm.

Thanks. But don't make the same mistake I made!

I've bought many, sold some, traded several, and gave some away to friends and family. I don't really miss or regret the ones I have passed on to others as they all went to wonderful people and I still have a nice little collection.
I do kinda wish I still had the Scott Wise tenor that I got from Hodge...it was just a wonderful low G Uke that loved to be tuned down a step or two where it sounded best. If I played in that style it woulda been a keeper. Sold to another forum member...I forget who.
Also a Mahalo Smiley Face I gave away. A one in a million $35 cheapo that had perfect setup, intonation, and playability as well as killer sound!

Btw Newkid I still have the Pohaku Concert 10 I got from you awhile back. It's on my keeper list.

And Jon (aka Mountaingoat aka hippydribble aka Eugene)...in one of my trades I acquired your old Thomas Rodriquez hickory soprano made from a 100 year old piano, that I fell in love with in one of your old Eugene videos...which are now sadly unavailable.

I'm getting ready to sell a few so I may be adding to this thread soon...stay tuned!

Cheers all!

Glenn
C
E
A

I'm glad you still have that Pohaku Glenn. Koa top with Pearwood back and sides, light as a feather, and loud!

Top Bottom