Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Professional Quality Mahogany Tenor with 1.5 nut?

Default Professional Quality Mahogany Tenor with 1.5 nut?

I'm in the market for a new Mahogany Tenor with a 1.5 nut. I'd like to spend less than $750 if possible and would prefer a new uke so I don't have to deal with repairs, set up, etc.

I'm considering Cordoba 30t, Kala Elite Doghair, Moku Choice -- and would be open to suggestions, comparisons, etc.

None of these ukes are in the stores available to play near where I live, so your suggestions and online videos are what are available tome.

I play Low G. The biggest selling points for me will be sound quality and intonation.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

This might be what you are looking for:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-e...-t-134205.html

Quote Originally Posted by WhenDogsSing View Post

Thanks. It's definitely on the list. If you have any experience with that Kala Elite, I'd love to know your thoughts.

You hit the nail on the head. For a non-custom mahogany tenor WITH a 1-1/2" nut width this is it. That sound sample says it all, beautiful over tones, nuances, resonance and clarity to the sound of that instrument. We have a uke jam member who has a Kala Elite koa tenor and I was very impressed with it.

If I were you and I wanted to buy a mahongany tenor and it had to have a 1-1/2" nut width I would snatch this up immediately. It is the only one I have seen, although I am sure they will make more but how long are you willing to wait.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Give Covered Bridge a call. The cherry tenor for $700 might still be available or if not they can make you a basic mahogany for about the same.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Covered-...02823539793311
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

I was lucky to spend some time with Kimo Hussey recently when he came through town for a seminar. He had a Kala Elite tenor he was traveling with, and was very gracious in letting me play it. The first thing I noticed was how light it was, and how easy it was to play. I tend to prefer wider nut width as well. I didn't ask him about cost, but I would have guessed it was at least a $1000.00 instrument considering it is hand made in the U.S. If you want to buy new, this is a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Give Covered Bridge a call. The cherry tenor for $700 might still be available or if not they can make you a basic mahogany for about the same.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Covered-...02823539793311
    Was going to suggest the same, Jim.
    Covered Bridge ukes are superb players.

Thanks for all for the replies. I PM'd Covered Bridge, who was amazingly responsive. Beautiful looking uses.

Before I make final decisions, does anyone have thoughts on the Córdoba 30t or the Romero Grand Tenor, both of which are also in my price range?

Also, with the Kala Elite, what is the incentive to buy from a store v. Buying direct from Kala's website? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    Also, with the Kala Elite, what is the incentive to buy from a store v. Buying direct from Kala's website? Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.
    Get it from HMS, they will make sure it's setup properly. It probably will be setup from the factory, but with standard factory setup. HMS will make sure it's perfect, you save a little too. And you'll have the extra support from HMS.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Thread Information