Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multiple bass players?

I like your notation; easy to read! Was wondering how you handle more complex parts like 'All About the Bass'? You & Tom did a good job of playing together on that song.

Quote Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
    I like your notation; easy to read! Was wondering how you handle more complex parts like 'All About the Bass'? You & Tom did a good job of playing together on that song.
    That one is a little different, the chord changes are the same throughout the song, so for the chorus and bridge I did G 1-1-3-5-3-5, Am 1-1-2-5-2-5, D7 1-1-3-5-3-5 and called that pattern 'full bass line. For the bridge I simplified it to a latin feel G 1--1-3-5, Am 1--1-2-5, D7 1--1-3-5 and notated the frets for that pattern rather than the note number.

Last edited by kohanmike; 09-09-2017 at 09:44 PM.

That's a good way of putting the info down! Waaay easier than reading music since it's movable if the key changes. Thanks for the info.

Got a chance to play with John again this past Sunday at a care home gig. He showed me how to play his gas can bass - put my left foot on the can & place the neck onto it. Can change the key based on the tension on the string & to finger notes on the fingerboard. He said it's easy but I told him you gotta have a good ear, which I don't have. The low bass sound comes out from the opening - lots of low end.
    Last edited by ampeep; 09-20-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Thread Information