Season 287: Holidays's in mode on!!

RAB11 rocked this one on day one, but I still couldn't resist. My first Sex Pistols song on the uke!

Thanks, Sara, for a great ukulele holiday!

Last edited:
I wrote the words to a song for our local uke group, extolling the virtues of our location for holidays and retirement. The song is loosely based on "Toes" by Zac Brown

I will put the lyrics under the video, for those, most of you, I expect, that need a translation, because it is area specific.

Chorus:
I got my toes in the water, my towel on the sand
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today... life is good to-day

Well I hopped in the car and left the big smoke (in this case Melbourne)
Leaving the work year behind
Days on the beach danced in my head
And I was still on that West Gate climb (West Gate Bridge is the main traffic exit to this side of the city)
I’ve looked forward to this, nothing will spoil it
You know I’m not going to ab-stain
Now I’ve crossed thru the Narrows, (an isthmus, through which you pass to get to Queenscliff)
I'm surrounded by water And I don’t want to go back a-gain

Repeat Chorus

Point Lonsdale & Queenscliff, I’m coming to play
And it’s the cappuccinos and glasses of vino,
the reasons that I want to stay
Oh Queenscliff and Lonnie, (Lonnie is a local name for Point Lonsdale)
I'm arriving to-day
Gonna lay in the hot sun, crack open another one,
and grab my ukulele and play

Gonna drink me some coffee Over at Lonnie
And look out over the Rip (The Rip is the opening from Bass Strait to Port Phillip Bay, and is the entry to the Port of Melbourne)
Then have a swim Down at the Nun’s beach. (A local bayside beach near Santa Casa, a spiritual retreat for the Sisters of Mercy)
Then next day’s a ferry day-trip (a ferry runs hourly to the other side of the bay entrance)
I want to dive out at Pope’s Eye, (Pope's Eye is a man-made, bluestone boulder, semi-circular construction sitting out in the mouth of Port Phillip Bay)
Eat a prize winning dog’s eye, (rhyming slang for meat pie)
In the arvo, a tour of the fort (Queenscliff is home to a Fort Queenscliff where the first allied shots in WW1 were fired as a German ship tried to leave the bay)
We’ll catch a squid off the pier, (a popular passtime here is jigging for squid)
Chase it down with a craft beer (and we have a local brewhouse)
This place is a top resort

Repeat Chorus

Point Lonsdale and Queenscliff,
Are you ready to sway?
On a train with a Blues band (a train called the Blues Train runs every saturday night with 4 carriages with a different band in each carriage - patrons swap carriages at intervals to hear them all)
and eat at the Vue Grand (historic guest house in the main street)
and check out the rockpools by day (low tide at the rip uncovers the rockpools)
Oh Queenscliff and Lonnie,
I’m arriving to-day
I’ll go down to the harbour,
see the boats for the couta (boats for catching the barracouta in past times, now a hobbyist pursuit)
I'll take my ukulele & play

The three weeks flew by, the curtain was drawing
The summer break came to an end Then I was back on the road
and over the bridge again As I bid fare-well to my friends

It’s a long time ‘til Christmas, but we still have the Easter break
I’m looking forward to that
Can’t wait til I’m older, I know I’m wishing my life away
But put out the welcome mat

Well time’s moved along, And I’ve pulled the pin
I can’t believe my luck
I’m staying forever, throw my ashes wherever
Long-as they stay in Short-land’s Bluff (original name for queenscliff at settlement)
I got my toes in the water, my towel on the sand
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today... life is good to-day

Last edited:
Green Day's Holiday.
One take :shaka: after a week of innumerable rehearseals. Wrong chord progression with the representative of California :eek:ld:.

Sneaking in right under the wire! I missed all of July due to work-related travel, and am now finally caught up. Pretty sure someone didn't already play this song from The Kinks "Muswell Hillbillies" album.

I thought about Holiday in Waikiki, but I didn't want to compete with Rick's version from last Season (I think it was last season... I've hoovered up 4 or 5 in the past week).

Thank You Sara for dedicating your week to this season. I have to admit that life took me away from this weeks season. I hope to catch up and have a listen. Im sure I missed some fantastic entries. Just wanted to give you all my apologies and let Sara know how much she is appreciated :)

Hello everybody!

Now that season 287 is over, I want to tell you that between today and tomorrow I will finish watching the last entries. I have already told you before: I am VERY proud to belong to this beautiful community of the seasons.
It has been a strange week, the attacks in the Ramblas of Barcelona have touched us emotionally, and luck of the season and of playing ukulele, that has been able to take much better.
I want to thank ALL of you who participated in this week's vacation Season. It has been a real pleasure to hear you and to see you in the videos you have recorded.

The prize will surely announce it next week, since Wednesday we are going to visit Belgium and from there I will not be able to record any video.

Thanks again and I send you a Hug from Barcelona!

Sara

Thank You Sara for dedicating your week to this season. I have to admit that life took me away from this weeks season. I hope to catch up and have a listen. Im sure I missed some fantastic entries. Just wanted to give you all my apologies and let Sara know how much she is appreciated :)

Thanks a lot! Linda, you do not need to apologize. The magic of the seasons is this: freedom to participate. And this is why I love it!

I hope that you are all well and that you have been able to enjoy or you are making it of your holidays.

Sara

Hello!!

I'm sorry because I'm late! Holidays/vacations gone out! And I'm very busy again :(

Here you are the wrap up! And the winner is: Recovering Bassist!!!

Congrats to the winner! Please send me an PM with your post adress to send you your bag.

Thanks again for this gift of season! All of you are AMAZING!

A big Hug!

Sara

Last edited:
Top Bottom