Flute Family (& related) instruments.

I have a folk flute, keyless, 6 holes. Pitched in D. It's basically diatonic and plays in G & D and related modes. Some Chromatic notes are possible. I also have several whistles in various sizes but don't play them very often.

Here's a recording I made some time ago.

Last edited:
So I just thought I'd start a new thread for anyone to discuss any flute related instruments, that is, any instrument that you vibrate the air column, (no reeds).

Why, what do you have against reeds?

Just bought a Tony Dixon bottom of the range 'Irish' flute, & piccolo, (both in key of D). :D

I can just about play up & down the first octave of the piccolo, but so far, I am only able to get the upper hole notes out of the flute, every time I try to go lower I lose my embouchure. ;)

That 'Irish' flute certainly wants to stretch my fingers out, it's worse than my baritone. :rolleyes:

Having fun though - so much pleasure I've missed out on not being able to afford musical instruments in my early life, but I'm making up for it now in my retirement. ;)

Thought I'd update this thread. :)

I can play tunes on my simple system piccolo, & just about on my simple system flute, although it is still a stretch.

I am now the proud(?) owner of several tin whistles too, & have a delrin keyless flute on order - I seem to like 6 holes more than all those keys on my boehm - but maybe I'll get used to them too, evenually. ;)

Top Bottom