Kanilea K2 Super Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngakalden

Reaction score
I'm selling my Kanilea K2 Super Concert. I love the sound and the feel of this instrument but I'm looking for a smaller, concert scale instrument to play right now.

This instrument was build 5 years ago, but I recently upgraded the saddled to Kanilea's latest design to maximize volume and tone. It has a professionally installed pickup and has a nice, easy-to-play 2.5mm fret hight.

I play this instrument daily and so the tone of the koa has really set in making the whole thing vibrate against your body.

The curly koa natural finish has some really cool chatoyance going on, I keep it well polished.

I'm selling her for $600. Paypal is fine.

If you would like to hear her play, we can set up a Skype call or Facetime. Just PM me.

Here are more details about this K2:

Curly Koa Body
Rosewood Fret Board and Bridge
Abalone Position Dots
Tortoise shell Binding
Black/White/Black Rosette
South American Mahogany Neck
New Aquila Strings
NuBone Nut and Saddle, upgraded
Custom Geared Kanile'a Tuning Keys
UV-Cured Natural Finish
Black Bridge Pins
Kanile'a's Unique Rounded Back

View attachment 102265
View attachment 102266

More images: https://goo.gl/photos/pyWcUKSWcxcmT7Xt7

Last edited:
Also, a little about who I am. I started The Tigard Ukulele group, have written a book on how to start an ukulele group sold by Ukulele Undersground, and have transacted in this marketplace in the past. Members of my club are on this forum and can advocate for my character.

ngakaiden,I see your selling that Kanile'a I see during the club meetings. People out there in UU land, I can vouch for this fellow & his uke . Some of you out there know me as "Don here in Oregon". It is a great player-sound ,his Kanile'a.

I owned this beauty for a bitter-sweet few days, purchased new old stock on Reverb.
Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert Deluxe 2012 New Old Stock https://reverb.com/item/2483542-kanile-a-k-2-super-concert-deluxe-2012-new-old-stock
Looked and sounded dreamy (I honestly remember how it felt vibrating), but the top was bellying somewhat, and I returned it. (There was also the teensiest of seam separation at the heel, which I learned from folks here was a total non-issue.)
Appears the top is now flat, and a larger saddle installed along with a pick-up.
Can you detail repairs made?

Last edited:
I owned this beauty for a bitter-sweet few days, purchased new old stock on Reverb.
Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert Deluxe 2012 New Old Stock https://reverb.com/item/2483542-kanile-a-k-2-super-concert-deluxe-2012-new-old-stock
Looked and sounded dreamy (I honestly remember how it felt vibrating), but the top was bellying somewhat, and I returned it. (There was also the teensiest of seam separation at the heel, which I learned from folks here was a total non-issue.)
Appears the top is now flat, and a larger saddle installed along with a pick-up.
Can you detail repairs made?

Hi Tracie,

Yes, there's been lots of work on this instrument. Frets were dressed and made even, the nut lowered, and some of the braces needed to be re-glued. The belly is very small and I've had two luthiers take a look. Both said it's nothing to worry about. In fact, it's hardly noticably. When I called Kanilea, they said this can happen to their instruments when they dry out. Since then, I've been more concious of the humitity in the air.

It sings like a bird. When I play my Pono after this Kanilea, there's just no comparison. It's like sound vibrates out of the entire body.

I'd gladly keep it, but I'm running out of wall-space and would like to have a concert scale instrument to play.

Hope that answers your question.

-Joshua

Hi Tracie,

Yes, there's been lots of work on this instrument. Frets were dressed and made even, the nut lowered, and some of the braces needed to be re-glued. The belly is very small and I've had two luthiers take a look. Both said it's nothing to worry about. In fact, it's hardly noticably. When I called Kanilea, they said this can happen to their instruments when they dry out. Since then, I've been more concious of the humitity in the air.

It sings like a bird. When I play my Pono after this Kanilea, there's just no comparison. It's like sound vibrates out of the entire body.

I'd gladly keep it, but I'm running out of wall-space and would like to have a concert scale instrument to play.

Hope that answers your question.

-Joshua

Interestingly, after Tracie returned the instrument to the original seller, they popped it right back up on reverb and I ended up buying it. I also took it to two respected luthiers here in Houston and they said the same thing that Joshua was told: Absolutely no problem, keep an eye on it and if it gets worse bring it back. If anything, it seems to have gotten a little better. Houston has a high level of humidity most of the year, and it may have absorbed a bit of moisture after coming from California. I researched this a lot, and from everything I can gather, most builders think it is no problem at all.

Honestly, this is one of the few I let go, that I wish I still had. One of the problems with UAS is; as you keep acquiring you have to make tough decisions about which ones to let go. My interaction with Joshua was definitely professional, and I am very comfortable giving him a positive recommendation here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom